My son is nonsociable

My son is 14 and he has always been quite ,always liked to be in his room playing games or watching TV hes not interested in girls, he doeosnt hang out with friend or anything ,he is very quite

skyn

Asked by skyn at 12:20 AM on May. 6, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• What's your question?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on May. 6, 2010

• ok as long as he doesn't hurt animals, or take apart dead animals.. that what jeffery damer did.. have you tried to see if he is interested in playing sports or some other after school activity.. my sweetie is still like that shy, & he is 35 & he wouldn't hurt anyone
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 12:28 AM on May. 6, 2010

• Your son is NORMAL,,,,He sounds just like my son...Each kid is different, each kid has their own uniqie personnality. My son has never been into the sports scene,,but put him in front of a computer problem or a dvd that has a problem and that kid can figure it out. Any computer problems I come across,,,he can fix,,,and my son is 15. I think you have a really smart kid there,,,my son still shys away from the girls at 15,,,,and you know what,,,I am so grateful for that! I am so glad that he wants to be home, that he feels good being here. I dont want him to be the kid on the corner, with his arm draped around some younger girl, hanging out....be proud mamma,,,I know I am! My over 6 ft tall soon to be a sophmore, is an inspiration to me every single day!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on May. 6, 2010

• What are his dreams and aspirations? Studies show that finding things we are interested in and love help keep us out of trouble, but he sounds great already.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 12:56 AM on May. 6, 2010

• And the problem is.....?
    MizusT

Answer by MizusT at 1:26 AM on May. 6, 2010

• Some kids are like that....What is he interested in? Are there things he does like to do? Things he cares about? Does he have any friends at all? Does he ever socialize? Who does he sit with at lunchtime? I don't know if you have a reason to be concerned or not. It really depends on a lot of factors. Does he seem content? ARE YOU CONCERNED?
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 7:55 AM on May. 6, 2010

• This is why bedrooms are ONLY for sleeping for the children in this house. TV, game system, computers are all in the main living area of the house and why we put them in organized sports at an early age. I raised 4 sons to adulthood and none were ever anti-social.
    Anonymous

• I'm anti-social because I am wired that way. I have Autism (Asperger's.) My being anti-social is a product of my being socially inept and being a little different from other people. Instead of trying to accept me or meet me halfway or anything like that, they chose to treat me like crap and let me know everyday I was doing everything wrong. If (<--hello, this is the word if, it does not mean conclusively so) your son is on the spectrum, it is not a death sentence, nor does it have to be a curse. It just means he processes some things differently from many of the people around him, even you, and had less need to interact with people in general, at least in certain ways. Like maiahlynn said, if he's not taking apart animals or stockpiling weapons or anything, it's not a huge deal. He just is who he is, and may need a little extra understanding at times.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 10:20 PM on May. 6, 2010

• roachiesmom, and parents with children with Aspergers CAN make them change. I have a son with Aspergers and he started playing football at 10, became involved in various school organizations and at 19 he's getting ready to join the Army. We never sheltered him or allowed him to hang out in his own little world.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like my dh, seriously. That is what he did at 14. He was terrified to talk to girls. We ate lunch together everyday in high school but it took until our Junior year for him to be comfortable to talk to me. I am not kidding. I was also friends with one his good guy friends so that is why I sat with him. Anyway, dh kind of, eventually came out of his shell. But he is a very quiet, artistic, thinking person, very serious. Anyway, what I am saying is, your son is fine. He will break out when he is ready.
    Anonymous