In-Law Gift giving and reciving

Do you buy your In-laws gifts and do they buy you gifts on holidays and b-days?

My partner and I buy his mom, sister, etc. gifts just about every occassion and celebrate(get together)every time, but he's only bought my mom 1 gift since we've been together(3yrs). I don't get recongized for my b-day or holidays from them.

Should I continue to celebrate and buy gifts or leave that to him. And just buy gifts for my family?

novice2008

Asked by novice2008 at 1:16 AM on May. 6, 2010 in Relationships

• We do very little gift giving. We're too broke lol. So neither of our families get gifts for occaisions. We don't expect gifts in return, although we do sometimes get them. His mom always sends money for birthdays and gifts for Christmas. His dad does sometimes. His grandma sends gifts for our daughter, and we sometimes get checks in the mail for our daughter's birthday from his uncles.

My family doesn't send gifts for either of us... they're broke too lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:32 AM on May. 6, 2010

• We exchange gifts. In fact I get better gifts from my mil than from my own family.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on May. 6, 2010

• talk to your man about it. dont do anything that makes you angry. or it will just keep making you angrier. and just keep it all even. you shop for your family and he shops for his thats how we do it.
    airmanswife08

Answer by airmanswife08 at 1:45 AM on May. 6, 2010

• Whatever you choose to do. I don't buy anything for my sister in-law but for the kidz I do get the kidz stuff for holidays and there b-days. For my MIL I have recieved one b-day card from her for my b-day and that was when i was preggo and she was comeing down on my b-day. I don't care about my b-day i enjoy getting people cards it's the thought that counts the most really not what you get and when or for what reason.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:14 AM on May. 6, 2010

• No. I can't stand my inlaws. I take care of my parents gifts..if my husband wants to waste money buying gifts for ungrateful alcoholic rednecks that is his job.
    MizusT

Answer by MizusT at 3:50 AM on May. 6, 2010

• We make gifts for the grandparents with my son and he makes family gifts for Christmas but we don't buy gifts for family except maybe a card occasionally.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 5:46 AM on May. 6, 2010

• In our house I buy the gifts for my parents and sis, hubs buys the gifts for his mom. There have been times when I have picked out gifts for my mil, or bought her something but usually I leave that up to hubs. For our Great nieces/nephew (on hubs side) I do buy them a cute card and put money in it for their birthdays and Christmas, and sometimes send them cards at other holidays (like valentines, halloween).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:42 AM on May. 6, 2010

• We have to watch the gift giving but we try to do at least little things. For the relatives who are unappreciative of what we give, which happened again recently, don't get to be high on my list of people to buy for. I do think that if you do somethingn for one side, you should do it for the other.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:39 AM on May. 6, 2010

• I buy all the gifts for the whole family with our joint bank account. My dh isn't one to go out and buy anything for anyone, unless its for me or the kids...therefore, I take it upon myself to purchase gifts for our entire family and sign his name along with mine...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 1:33 PM on May. 6, 2010