Is it safe to drink coffee as a breastfeeding mother?

Ctanner09

Asked by Ctanner09 at 1:44 AM on May. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As long as your baby doesn't react, YES.

Basic rule? If you could do something BEFORE you got pregnant, you can do it now. Bye bye to pregnancy restrictions...they flew out the window the minute the cord was cut.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:46 AM on May. 6, 2010

• I drank it all through my pregnancy. EXCEPT the first few months when it made me puke. :) And after also.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on May. 6, 2010

• Some babies will get tummyaches and gas from it. But if your baby doesn't react, it's fine. Both my sons couldn't handle it. My DD does just fine. Although I don't drink a lot of it, anyway. Maybe two cups a day, tops.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 2:52 AM on May. 6, 2010

• Like PP said, go for a trial run w/ baby... if there is no ill effect, you're fine. I had 1 who couldn't take caffeine AT ALL. No tea, no pop, no coffee. I had another that was A OK. And a 3rd who was fine too. But he couldn't deal with ANYTHING in the cabbage family, OH the joys of figuring out what to eat while nursing! lol
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:55 AM on May. 6, 2010

• I couldnt, only because DS would react to it, but I know many who did with no side effects. In all honesty, it is a trial and error sort of thing. I have friends who could not eat spicy foods, but DS seemed to LOVE it when I ate spicy, but he hated when I ate greens.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 9:05 AM on May. 6, 2010

• Caffeine was the one thing that I really can't drink while breastfeeding, just because it really affects my son. If I have one cup in the morning, he's up all night :) But every baby is different, you could try one cup and see how it works....
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 10:55 AM on May. 6, 2010

• Generally, yes.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:51 AM on May. 6, 2010

• Yep! If you want more info check out Breastfeeding and Caffeine

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:12 PM on May. 6, 2010

• I am still on decaf because my daughter will spit up all day if i have regular but I know plenty of nursing moms that have their regular coffee with no ill effect on baby. just don't have it late in the day or you could be up all night.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 3:42 PM on May. 6, 2010