Would you send your 11 year old to a week long summer camp?

The age range for the session he would be going to is for kids 8-11, so he would be at the top of the age range.
I went to this camp as a kid, with my school for a week. I remember having the best time and I want my kid to have the same experience, but I am worried about him going at the same time.
So would you do it?

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 1:46 AM on May. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• By the time I was 10 I was working all year, saving birthday & x-mas money, mowing neighbors lawns, washing dogs, chopping wood, painting houses (yeah, THAT was fun the first time I spilled pain on my head!!!)... all so that I could PAY MY OWN WAY for summer camp, and choose where I wanted to go. I went to 2-4 week summer camps.

I understand your concern, but I was also the YOUNGEST kid there... He'll be fine. He'll have a BLAST!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:02 AM on May. 6, 2010

• Yes I would!! My son will be going to the summer camp I worked at and I am now on the Board of directors... it's a 7 week residential program for boys 8-15. I'm going to let him go when he is 9... he can't wait!! And since I worked there I KNOW what good things Camp does for kids!! So yes, you bet I would!!! ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 1:51 AM on May. 6, 2010

• If he wanted to, yes. I wouldn't force a kid to go.. but if it's something I can afford and something they're interested in... yeah, totally.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:43 AM on May. 6, 2010

• I don't see a problem with it if that is what your son wants to do. Both my step-children go to camp and they love it and always have a great time. I would not be pushing it if he wants to go then send him and you will see him soon.
    I work with a few college students that work at a camp in the summer and they are always talking about how they love the kids and they always have a great time. Look deep inside you and see if it's a fear of yours or just not knowing if you want to send him there or not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:53 AM on May. 6, 2010

• It's hard sending our kids away, but I'm glad I had that opportunity when I was a kid. I went to a shorter camp when I was 10. I think it was like 3 or 4 days and then I went to week long girls camps every year from age 12 to 17 and it was a great growing experience and a fun time. Can you contact him daily at the camp to help ease your worries and make sure he's ok? Or can you maybe even volunteer to go as a chaperone?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:32 AM on May. 6, 2010

• Yes - i am sending my 8 and 10 year olds to a week long overnight summer camp, and I sent them last year too. It's one I went to while growing up, so it's a nice thing to carry on. They really enjoy it and are looking forward to it - it's not until July but they are still talking about it at least once/week already!

Answer by missanc at 5:56 AM on May. 6, 2010

• I think 11 was when my daughter started going for four weeks; prior to that she went for two weeks.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:09 AM on May. 6, 2010

• i was younger than that when i went, and i loved it too. now that i am a mom, i can't imagine sending my kids away for a week. my oldest is 6 now, so i better start getting mentally ready now! i think it is good idea. i loved my camp experiences, you loved yours. this sounds harder than putting them on the bus for kindergarten : )
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:32 AM on May. 6, 2010

• If my son wanted to then yes.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 6:46 AM on May. 6, 2010

• Sure if he wants to go why not? Let him go have fun. You'll miss him but it's only a week. I wish my parents had sent me to summer camp but I was one of those kids who didn't do so good away from my mom for that long... If they'd pushed me I would have been fine...ah well.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 7:05 AM on May. 6, 2010