i am thinking of fostering a child what do you all think?

thinking about this for long time, asked my partner what he thought and he was fine about it, just going to find out more would love to hear some stories from all you moms thank 68tl have a great day everyone xx

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:34 AM on May. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• I know that everyone is going to say Gl and Great work, as do I. From my personal family experience though, Dont get too attached! My Nephew was takin into foster care when he was 4 months old. My sister fought tooth and nail to get him back, he was takin without probable reason. Finally she was sick of cps putting her through crap and went behind their backs and filed for custody. The judge granted her custody for lack of evidence of why he was takin, she got him back just shy of his 2nd bday. The foster mother had grown extremely attached to him while he was in her care and was even known to stalk my sister afterward, needless to say after that my sister no longer allowed her to see my nephew. Best of luck!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 7:06 AM on May. 6, 2010

• A noble cause but challenging as hell if you get a runner or a severely troubled child. Do your research before you make a final decision.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 7:06 AM on May. 6, 2010

• It can be great and it can be hard. Sometimes you get to keep them for a long time and know that they are well taken care of but sometimes you have to give them back and feel that they are going into worse hands. I think you should but don't think that it is all going to be great days. I have seen the kids that go thru foster care. You have the kids that have nothing wrong and then you have the ones that have everything wrong. The big thing is going in with your head on straight with the knowledge that you can't fix everything that has been done to those sweet kids. I hope God goes with you and you do a great job!
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 7:08 AM on May. 6, 2010

• First, ita ll depends greatly on the laws in your state, the agency you go through and the caseworker you have. These three things can play a very significant role in your experience as a foster parent. When people say don't get too attached, I tend to disagree. There are plenty of children in foster care who are available to be adopted and attaching to them while fostering them is obviously going to work out in the end. YOU have the control, if you want to foster a child that may possibly go home then there are risks involved but people do it all the time, it depends on what kind of foster parent you want to be (foster to adopt or just foster) My advice is find an agency you like and trust, decide what works for you and stick to it (if you want a certain age, race, gender etc..) and you can always say no if they call you about a child you don't think will work. Feel free to msg me anytime with more questions.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 9:43 AM on May. 6, 2010

• If you have children of your own, bio kids or step kids, do not foster. DO NOT FOSTER until your own kids are grown and out. It's not fair to expose your kids to the hell and baggage that comes with foster kids. If you want your kids to be mistreated, treated like shit and possibly molested then go for it.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:41 PM on May. 6, 2010