Do you think Iron Man 2 is appropriate for a 5 year old?

My son loves Iron Man and his father was planning on taking him to see it tomorrow. After watching some of the commericals I'm starting to think it wouldn't be appropriate for his age. What do you think?

vnw1405

Asked by vnw1405 at 6:52 AM on May. 6, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i think kids that age have a built in filter. i don't think the violence is much different from the cartoons. the sex, for my kids, goes over their heads. i do believe that at some point the kids will tune in to the sex parts, and maybe that is when i will stop letting my boys see those movies, or maybe just cover their eyes? my older are 5 and 6, they saw all those superhero movies, gi joe, hulk, batman, spiderman, ironman (they will most likely see this one too...but it depends on how dh does with his to do list before this baby comes : )). the marketing is for the kids, but the movies are for the adults. ido wish they would make the movies a bit more kid friendly!
    after all that...i think you should trust your dh, and let the boys have their day :)
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:14 AM on May. 6, 2010

• Personally, I thin it's way too violent and I think the sex and innuendo is too much. I was repulsed by the way women were portrayed in the first one. I would not let my 5 year old see it. (Although I thought the movie was fun for adults).
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:32 AM on May. 6, 2010

• I haven't seen the previews.. But let me know b/c I have a four year old and this is information that I can use next year LOL! No but for real. I usually don't let him see violent or sex shows. Well that sounded smart uh?!?!? LOL! If you have to ask the answer is probably "NO." Only you can decide what your son can handle and with us not knowing him we can't judge you or make that choice for you. Things that my nine year old knows some may not know. I teach her honestly but on her level with not too much info. I don't do violent movies at all but some parents may. But if it's not this movie then it will be another that you will question so only you can decide. Good Luck! Make sure is you decide that you explain that it's only a movie, it's not real. He he not allowed to hurt people for real like he sees in the movie. And if you hear him repeat something fromt he movie that is letting you know that he wasn't ready yet.
    Peacefully

Answer by Peacefully at 9:11 AM on May. 6, 2010

• PG-13 for a 5 yr old...NO! If you have to ask, then you know that you don't want him to see it.

I'd wait til it comes out on DVD - then you can preview the movie and if you think it is okay for him - he'll see it on a smaller screen in a quieter environment.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:57 AM on May. 6, 2010

• The first one sure wasn't for a 5 year old but mu DH let him watch it any way. I was furious! The realistic war violence in the first one was a bit much for me. The point blank shot to the head and all. I would watch it first and then decide.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:34 PM on May. 6, 2010

• Umm I would have to say no, I Dont think a 5 year old should see this. Since I have a 5 year old who loves super heroes Ive been looking up movie clips and such on this and personally theres no way I would let my guy see it but thats just me. I know alot of moms that let their kids watch all sorts of stuff, here the kids only watch g rated things.Again thats just us, my son would ask way to many questions about the sexual content and the violence as he is just like that.
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 1:28 PM on May. 6, 2010

• I saw it on Tuesday at a premiere. Did he see the 1st one? Has he seen X-Men, Hellboy, The Fantastic Four, Spiderman, Batman, The Hulk, etc.? if so then yes, Iron Man 2 is fine. It's an AWESOME movie!

BTW, the comic books these movies are based on were never meant for a young audience. Making them kid-friendly (for little kids) would take from the intention of the original comics.
    Anonymous

• No - but my 5 year old wouldn't have seen the original one either, and it sounds like yours did. This one and the first have the same film rating for the same reasons.

Answer by missanc at 3:43 PM on May. 6, 2010