First child

So me and my husband just found out that we are expecting on monday I took three home pregnancy test and one at the hospital and one at the public health center so its pretty official but today i am going for my first prenatal visit...and I am a little nervous I do not know what to expect...What happened to some of you moms on your first visit???

lazo060109

Asked by lazo060109 at 7:17 AM on May. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• My doctor does a full exam - pap smear and breast exam. Can I recommend that you tell them you DO NOT want the pap smear? IT caused me to have heavy bleeding - and although I don't think it causes a miscarriage - it cause great fear and concern. Some practices do an early ultrasound around 6 weeks. Otherwise, they'll get your medical history and give you a due date.

Congrats!
    Melissa823

Answer by Melissa823 at 7:21 AM on May. 6, 2010

• At my first appointment all they did was "confirm" the pregnancy. WHat they do is an internal ultrasound just to confirm you are pregnant and try to figure out how far along you are. they might also give you a blood test to check your hormone levels to also see how far along you are. I did not have a pap smear, breast exam and what not until either an appointment or two after that. They did it the same time they went through mine and my husbands medical history
    MamaHardy2008

Answer by MamaHardy2008 at 7:50 AM on May. 6, 2010

• You actually will want to get a pap smear. It tests to make sure there are no abnormal cells or STDS which is important to know if you are pregnant. It's common to bleed after a pap anyway.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on May. 6, 2010

• it varies a lot from provider to provider.

at my first appointment, there was nothing to confirm the pregnancy. they took my word for it, which i thought was nice. i said i took a couple of pee tests and told them when my period should have been etc. i took a list of about 10 questions mostly about birth options because i wanted to be sure that they would respect my wishes, or else i would have found someone else.

i didn't have any blood drawn, any urine samples, any pap test, etc. i did all of that later however. i did get weighed and BP checked.

congrats btw!!!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 11:11 AM on May. 6, 2010

• oh yea they did also do a bit of medical and family history and asked about my last period to estimate a due date.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 11:12 AM on May. 6, 2010

• My very first appointment was with a nurse. She asked about medical history. Blood and urine samples were taken. Blood pressure, temperature, and weight were checked; these, along with urine sample, are done at the beginning of every appointment, so get used to that. And they'll give you a prescription for prenatal vitamins if you need one.

My first appointment with a doctor involved the PAP smear and breast exam. Same BP/temp/weight/urine check, per usual. And they have a list of questions they'll ask at every appointment (any nausea/vomiting? headaches? cramping/contractions? bleeding? etc....). So get used to those, too. And you can ask questions, of course.

And at some point, either at the first doctor appointment or maybe a week or two later, they'll probably schedule an appointment for an ultrasound, as well, to make sure everything's good and determine how far along you are (more accurate than period date).
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:59 PM on May. 6, 2010

• about the pap smear...when was the last time you had one? if it was within the past two years you should have no problems turning down a pap smear now that you are pregnant. i had one once in the beginning of a pregnancy, and i think it is awful. they say bleeding and cramping may occur, but that is normal. imo, if there is bleeding and cramping, then they have injured you, and that is not normal.

congratulations on your pregnancy!!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:41 PM on May. 6, 2010