Is it necessary to have to deliver my baby by 37 weeks?

I am not pregnant yet, but hubby and I have decided to start TTC, so naturally my brain is in baby planning mode. I had a last minute c-section with my son because he decided to flip and got stuck turned sideways during my labor, and my doctor told me that if/when I get pregnant again that I needed to deliver via c-section by 37 weeks. I just don't know how I feel about that. I want my baby to have all the time he/she needs to develop to the fullest and of coarse due dates are not always accurate so I could be delivering a pre-term baby if I do this. I am living in another state now and will have a completely different doctor. Do you think it would be stupid of me to not mention this to my doctor? I know typically with planned c-sections they will do it a week before the due date, and i'd rather have those 2 extra weeks to be absolutely sure my baby is ready. Any opinions on this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:46 AM on May. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Honestly, from what you have said, your last doctor sounds like an idiot. Just because your first baby turned over & got stuck during labor doesn't mean the next one is going to.... saying that you will need a repeat c-section based solely on that fact makes no sense. There is no way to predict what the 2nd baby is going to do based on the 1st baby's actions.
    If you are that worried about it, get your medical records from your first pregnancy transferred/faxed to your new doctor's office & see if they bring anything up. Otherwise, see if you can try for a VBAC.
    Good luck!!
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 8:21 AM on May. 6, 2010

• I would mention it and ask the doctor why your previous doctor had said this. There might be a legit reason for this even though it should be in your medical file for your new doctor to see.
    MamaHardy2008

Answer by MamaHardy2008 at 7:48 AM on May. 6, 2010

• The doctors statement really seems odd to me with just the info you gave... No you can have a c-section anytime, it doesn't HAVE to be at 37 weeks... It is true most doctor's like a c-section to be closer to 39 weeks if it is scheduled... I really wouldn't worry about it but I would mention it to your new OB when the time comes, at least to ease your mind..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:53 AM on May. 6, 2010

• OP-It seemed odd to me too, but I didn't put much thought into it at the time because the last thing on my mind was having another baby anytime soon after. I am on a military post and these doctors are kind of iffy. (My last doctor was civilian) I am just afraid that if I brought this up he would say "Okay well if thats what you were told, then thats what we're going to do". I don't know if they can actually MAKE me have a c-section earlier than I want but if this happens I will definitely give my disapproval on it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:58 AM on May. 6, 2010

• They can't make you do anything... Also just because one Dr said this doesn't mean another will follow along without some kind of proof it will be in your best interest and the baby's KWIM...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:03 AM on May. 6, 2010

• Most of the time doctors don't follow what other doctors say because they don't really know them anyway. I went to the doctor at the beginning of my pregnancy and I use an inhaler because of breathing problems/asthma which is severe. I went to my regular doctor with problems breathing, and needing my inhaler refilled and she told me she wasn't going to give me it because I was pregnant. There I was sitting there, having an asthma attack and asking her what do I do?And she said she guesses go to the ER and they will figure out what to do, so I called the obgyn doctor and she was SHOCKED that the doctor did that to me. And she was mad. She said yes Inhalers are a class C but if you use them before pregnancy they won't effect pregnancy now, plus she adjusted the dosege on in. I would tell your doctor now what that doctor said. Because they will figure out why he said this..and get to the bottom of it.
    skylarsmommy24

Answer by skylarsmommy24 at 8:34 AM on May. 6, 2010

• The only legit reason to do a C-section that early is if there's some medical reason why they don't want to risk you going into labor. Most doctors refuse to schedule a C-section (except in aforementioned cases) before 38 weeks, many won't before 39 weeks. If you want to make absolutely sure your baby is ready, you can always refuse to schedule a C-section before 40 weeks (or later, if you want), and then if you go into labor before then, they can do the C-section at that point.

Have you thought about a VBAC at all? That's another option, if you're comfortable with it and if you can find a doctor/hospital or midwife who will attend. Because of the reason for your first C-section, it's something to ask about anyway. My C-section was scheduled, and I still preferred the VBAC; recovery was much easier, which was important to me with an active toddler to take care of in addition to the baby.

Congrats, and good luck!
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 8:34 AM on May. 6, 2010

• Find a new OB.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on May. 6, 2010

• Most doctors will assume you are going to have a c-section. If you are having a planned c-section, they usually schedule them around 38 weeks. You pick the date. Tell your doctor that you want to wait until closer to 40 weeks, that those last weeks are important. If they won't let you- find a new doctor.

If you want to go as naturally as possible, try for a vbac and it won't be a concern.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 9:37 AM on May. 6, 2010

• i doubt it. i would find a good OB, ask him/her what kind of incision you had, and then find out about VBAC.

also check out ican international's website for some info.

if you do have a repeat c-section, it's usually best to wait to have the c-section AFTER labor has begun which could be like 42 weeks. at 37 weeks, baby could end up in the NICU. especially if your dates aren't right on.

it's good that you've moved so you don't have to deal with that stupid OB.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on May. 6, 2010