Breastfeeding...

When I had my daughter I barely produced any milk and now that I am about to have another baby I want to know if there is anything I can do or anything I can take before the baby comes so I can make sure I produce enough?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on May. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• can't take it while you are pregnant but after you give birth fenugreek seed & yeast help produce more milk. Pumping & making sure the latch is correct can really help too. There's a breastfeeding group here that was very helpful when I 1st got started, check it out
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:47 AM on May. 6, 2010

• Nurse on demand- that's the best way to increase/maintain supply. There is no way to make sure you produce enough before the baby comes. To know if you are producing enough/baby is getting enough, count diapers. 1 per day for the first week, then 6-8 wet and/or dirty every 24 hours after that. A wet diaper is equal to 4 TBSP of water-wetter counts as two. Definitely join a breastfeeding group, they can help you get over all the road bumps that will pop up. Also, go to breastfeeding class/support group if there is one offered in your area. Have an LC check your latch when the baby is born. Try to nurse within an hour of birth. There's lots of things you can do early on to form a good nursing relationship. Check out the Breastfeeding Moms groups and join one of them.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 8:56 AM on May. 6, 2010

• You cannot do anything in pregnancy. After delivery: Nurse nurse nurse. And be sure you know the ONE true indicator of a supply problem: Not changing enough dipes. One per day of life for the first week, 6-8 per every 24 hours after that.

NOTHING else matters. Not how baby acts, not how your breasts feel and ESPECIALLY how much you pump. Baby is supposed to be a demanding diva who's less easy to satisfy than your MIL or Simon Cowell. Your breasts are NOT supposed to feel full once regulated. And there are moms who can feed multiples and not pump ONE drop. Also, normal pump output is one half to two ounces TOTAL.

Nine out of ten moms who think they have a supply problem actually have a knowledge problem instead and their supply is fine.

Drop by the Breastfeeding Moms group...you'll learn a lot.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:12 AM on May. 6, 2010

• nurse on demand! when your baby is hungry nurse her. this also means around the clock (which won't last froever as the tummy grows). my LC told me "watch the baby not the clock" and it was very helpful advice. join the breastfeeding moms group!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:38 AM on May. 6, 2010

• This is what worked for me when I was having supply issues:

Nurse frequently
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:55 AM on May. 6, 2010

• The best thing you can do now is to educate yourself. It's possible but not likely that you couldn't make enough milk the first time. What's more likely is that you didn't have the proper support and the people who did support you didn't have the correct information, leading you to believe that your baby was not getting enough. Seek out your local La Leche League and begin attending meetings now. Then, you'll be familiar with the leaders, and can call upon them when you deliver if you need help or advise. Nurse on demand, early and often. Yes, even if you just nursed 20 mins ago. Newborns nurse very frequently. And if you pump, remember that the amount you are able to pump does not equal the amount that the baby gets while nursing. Babies are much more efficent then pumps. Diaper counts measure supply. When baby is one day old, you want to change at least ONE diaper. Two days old, at least TWO diapers. Three days
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:49 AM on May. 6, 2010

• old, THREE diapers, and so on, until a week. After a week old, you're looking for at least 6-8 diapers in a 24 hr period. If you're changing that amount, then your supply is fine.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:50 AM on May. 6, 2010

• one thing that really helped me was not letting my daughter oversleep feedings. I woke her up to nurse if she hit that 3 hour mark, even over night. it's tedious but you only worry about it until your supply is well established, then just let her do her own thing at night.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 3:45 PM on May. 6, 2010