oh crap..waht will they do?

i got called to jury duity...well i forgot to call to try to get out of it (don't have a car or a babysitter) well the court date was monday, i totally forgot about it. i have to call them today but what will they do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on May. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Please, don't worry about it. I know people that just throw out the paper and never ever call. I went and it sucked. I had to go inside chambers and listen to the case but by the time I was up they had enough jurors. It was very intrusive and the judge was very nosy. I would've been excluded because I worked at a law firm for two weeks and they are the most crooked and most fake places were people will make up stuff to get more money out of a settlement. So not for me. Thank goodness you forgot to go. So not worth it....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on May. 6, 2010

• I know you can go to jail over jury duty.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on May. 6, 2010

• Usually, they will issue a warrant for your arrest if you don't go. I'm not sure what happens if you call - probably set you up with another jury duty date.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on May. 6, 2010

• Call city offices, ask who you need to call. Honestly, they may just have you contact the court and make new arrangements, but you also might have to do a walk-through at the police station if they did issue a warrant. Basically, you'll show up at the police station, go in, tell them your name, and show them the arrangements on paper with the court. They should excuse you then.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 9:33 AM on May. 6, 2010

• I've been to jury duty and the judges are pretty serious about the fact that we have a priviledged duty to serve as a juror. Here in SC some of the judges have been known to send a police officer to the homes of those who didn't show up and arrest them and keep them in jail for the night...sorry, but that's how they do it here. I would call and let them know what happened before anything gets too out of control.
    rainbowmomof4

Answer by rainbowmomof4 at 9:57 AM on May. 6, 2010

• It depends on where you are. I've known people who just had to make a new date to show up for jury duty. But if you're the primary caregiver of a child under 5 years, that pretty much takes you out of the loop. Did they not send a little card in the mail? There is a place on the card that asks if you take care of a child and if so you just mark it and send it back. You basically get crossed off the list. How is it done where you are?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on May. 6, 2010

• What they do in my town is once a year gather up names of the no shows and issue warrants. Please call the courthouse and see what you need to do to avoid a warrant. Maybe they will send you a new summons and you can get out of it but it's better than being arrested and taken away in front of your kids and they will do that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on May. 6, 2010