Jailed over a T-shirt????

I 'kinda' think it's wrong even if she were the defendant; however; she wasn't!! She was simply someone's last minute ride and a judge sent her to jail for contempt of court!???!

Sorry I feel like that judge is on a major power trip...what do you ladies think?

Jennifer LaPenta admits that if she'd known her T-shirt would land her in jail for two days, she probably wouldn't have bought it. And she definitely wouldn't have worn it to court.

LaPenta, 20, was jailed this week by Lake County Associate Judge Helen Rozenberg who held her in contempt for wearing the T-shirt in her courtroom. It was emblazoned with the words: "I have the (slang for female body part) so I make the rules."

"The judge asked me if I thought the shirt was appropriate for the courtroom," LaPenta said. "I said I didn't think it was offensive but said I wouldn't have worn it if I was the defendant."

cont'd below

beachmamaof2

Asked by beachmamaof2 at 8:46 AM on May. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• LaPenta, of Round Lake, said she offered to take the shirt off but that Rozenberg told her it was too late and was having her jailed for 48 hours for contempt of court.

"She just threw me in jail," LaPenta said. "I've never been arrested in my life. It was very embarrassing."

LaPenta said she wore the shirt to the gym for a workout and was asked by a friend to drive her to the courthouse in Waukegan so the friend could settle some minor traffic tickets. It wasn't long after she sat down that Rozenberg summoned her to the front of the courtroom and asked about the slogan.

When LaPenta was released from jail Tuesday, she called Park Ridge attorney Peter Kalagis, who said he hopes to discuss the issue with the Lake County Presiding Chief Judge Victoria Rossetti. Neither Rozenberg nor Rossetti could be reached Wednesday.

"I didn't mean to offend anybody," LaPenta said.

http://bit.ly/9MUbV9
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 8:47 AM on May. 6, 2010

• she shouldn't have gone to jail but that isn't something you wear to court
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 8:49 AM on May. 6, 2010

• I wouldn't wear a shirt like that period.. Kids ya know; but I don't think she should have went to jail for it.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:51 AM on May. 6, 2010

• when I 1st started reading I wondered why anybody would wear that to court but if her friend asked her for a last minute ride & she was @ the gym....those sitting in the gallery are there to support those who are accused so they need to look presentable, as this shows judges pay attention to things like that. But in traffic court.... seems a little excessive to spend 2 days in jail over what your shirt says, now if she'd stood up & yelled that in the middle of court...yea. Doesn't this fall under freedom of speech? Seems Miss LaPenta could make a case!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:51 AM on May. 6, 2010

• LOL You should know before you go into a courtroom or even a courthouse that you had better wear appropriate clothing. LOL
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:52 AM on May. 6, 2010

• too bad they don't do that to some people who walk the streets. i've seen shirts that say alot worse than that!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on May. 6, 2010

• i have that shirt!!!
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:03 AM on May. 6, 2010

• If it was me and my friend asked me for a ride and I wasn't wearing appropriate clothing for going into court I would have sat in the car or something until court was over. But even still this is ridiculous, that judge has some problems.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 9:04 AM on May. 6, 2010

• why would you wear it to court though...have some common sense..the only time i have ever wore that shirt was to a club when i was younger. i never wear it any more.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:04 AM on May. 6, 2010

• What a tacky, tasteless shirt to wear anywhere, but especially to court. I bet the judge is so tired of hearing everyone's lies and excuses ALL THE TIME that he thought hers was just another line of BS. I probably would have too. Don't know if I would've packed her off to jail, but whatever.
    People who wear shirts like that seriously need to grow up and think about people other than themselves. When my 8 year old daughter reads that shirt, what would you like me to tell her? Cause what I tell her about stuff like that is that the person wearing it just doesn't have any class and doesn't care about being in-your-face obscene, even around kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on May. 6, 2010