Anyone had success with the new health care reform?

I admit, I am not in favor. BUT, 2 friends at work have 22 year olds and I was happy for them that they would be able to put them on their plans.
Friend #1 can not until the next open enrollment-6 months away. Friend 2 has to pay a premium that is much higher than the individual plan she has her son on now. Has anyone successfully enrolled an older child or have some type of positive impact on their life from the new bill?
Just trying to see the bill in action and if its done anyone any good yet.

soyousay

Asked by soyousay at 8:58 AM on May. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• My kids are already on our plan but anyone who didn't consider the fact that they would still have to pay for it and that there are no limits put on insurance companies on how much they can charge should not complain. Many tried to tell people this was not going to be good. Yes this law will allow most to get healthcare at some point. It doesn't say anywhere they would be able to afford it.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:07 AM on May. 6, 2010

• It hasn't changed anthing for me yet.

Answer by older at 9:06 AM on May. 6, 2010

• steph- how old are your kids? I was surprised that the premium was higher than the individual plan he was already on. Seems like that portion of the bill-insurance up to age 26 is kind of worthless since it is no better than what was already available. It will be interesting to see what happens in 6 months when my other friend goes to add her son. Her husbands employer has not come up with what the premium will be- they are still trying to figure out how they will handle adding older kids. I just thought-family coverage is the same no matter how old the child, I figured they would just add him on the way you add a new baby-but since he does not live at home, he can be covered but at an additional charge.
    Anyone have a similar story or a success story?
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:16 AM on May. 6, 2010

• My youngest sister is able to go back onto my dad's plan. There was a slight increase in the premium but it wasn't enough to be concerned about.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 9:43 AM on May. 6, 2010

• Rates are based on risk factors. A kid that is 22 is at risk for needing more medical attention (even if they are healthy), than a younger person.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on May. 6, 2010

• Since the law now states insurance companies cannot charge more to people with pre-existing conditions, the rates for young adults will go up to compensate. I believe it was estimated the rates for young adults would increase 30%, not including standard increases.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:04 AM on May. 6, 2010

• yes we were able to get my daughter who has a condition on insurance ....we have not been able to find any that would accept her and now we were able to and the payment is less than what we were paying for a crappy insurance....

and my brother was able to get back on my parents insurace which he really needed ...and it is only $12 more than what they were paying....

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on May. 6, 2010

• Mine are 19 and 21 and in college. We can have them on our insurance through dhs work and it's not that expensive. The options available are you, you and spouse or you and family. It doesn't matter how many kids you have. They could be on our insurance while in college till they are 25 as it is so their isn't much difference. Now they can be on insurance even if they aren't in college but our rates are not going up. What difference does it make? It's not going to costr any more if they aren't in college it's just that most ins companies just want more money.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:24 AM on May. 6, 2010

This - I don't understand why people don't realize that was the real reason they put in that age 26 rule to begin with - as long as mommy and daddy pay for their insurance, that's millions of dollars in premiums they weren't collecting at all when the kids weren't insured at all. They're cashing in on a goldmine.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:26 AM on May. 6, 2010

• The age 26 rule kind of aggravates me too. Here's the thing. If you have an adult child living with you up to age 26 if, you must put them on your plan if they are uninsured. I have a 17 year old right now. Her thoughts after high school are Cosmetology school and a career as hair stylist. It's an honorable profession and one I think she will excel in. However, many salons I have been to rent out the booths to the stylists. Technically they don't work for the salon. So the girl who does my hair pays for insurance for herself and her boys. Starting out my dd may not be able to afford insurance or a place of her own. Do I mind providing health insurance for my child? NO. If she were lazy and refused to get off the couch to get a job, I might however.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 11:41 AM on May. 6, 2010