I'm weening my son off the bottle...a little advice?

He is going to be 11 months in less than two weeks. Right now he is down to three 8oz bottles a day. One first thing in the morning, one in the afternoon usually after nap time, and one before bed. What I did with my first child was once she was down to three bottles a day, I cut out the middle bottle, and she was just on her morning bottle, and bed time bottle...and eventually just bed time bottle, and then that stopped as well. So typically, I wanted to cut out my sons middle bottle...but, I'm starting to think he's more ready for me to cut out his bed time bottle. For the last couple of weeks, instead of having an 8oz bottle before bed, he only drinks about 4-6oz. So he's slowly weening himself off the bed time bottle anyway...but do you think it will be harder to ween him completely off the bottle if I cut out his bed time bottle first?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on May. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you know, I quit giving my kids bottles before bed when they were alot younger, I would feed them about an hour before bedtime. My kids never had an attachment to the bottle, so it was really easy. I just took it away period lol. Best of luck, and wish I was more help
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:07 AM on May. 6, 2010

• Well...he has his "bed time bottle" at like 8 and he goes to bed at 8:30. He doesn't fall asleep with his bottle or anything...he drinks his bottle...and when he's done with it...I bring him downstairs, lay him down, and he goes to sleep...he's not like super attached to it like my daughter was but...I was just asking opinions.
    OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on May. 6, 2010

• Go ahead and try to cut out the bedtime bottle, instead give him a sippy cup around 730, if he does ok then you'll know he's ready. My dd just cut out all but 2 bottles on her own. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on May. 6, 2010

• At 10 months I started putting daytime formula in a cup and by 11 months The nighttime bottle in a cup also. by 1 year they were off the formula all together and just eating regular meals.
    mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 10:48 AM on May. 6, 2010

• Is there a sippy cup he likes? If so quit with the bottle all together and just give him the sippy cup. Once I found a cup my son liked I quit with the bottles completely and he did just fine.
    Nesa_Z

Answer by Nesa_Z at 3:17 PM on May. 6, 2010