Does armpit odor merit to see an specialist?

When nothings works...deodorant, antiperspirant, eliminating spice food, using cotton clothes, etc.
Can someone go to a doctor for terribly armpit odor?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on May. 6, 2010 in Health

• Yeah- sometimes they can go in and deaden some of the sweat glands in the area. They may be overworking for some reason. I would visit the doctor, particularly if this is a relatively new problem. It might be a symptom of a bigger issue concerning your system.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 9:49 AM on May. 6, 2010

• I think you'd start at your regular dr and then if he feels it's a symptom of a larger issue (such as hormones, etc) than he'd refer you to the appropriate specialist such as an endocrinologist.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on May. 6, 2010

• Personally I would try diet first, and I don't mean just eliminating spicy foods, like you mentioned. I would eliminate sugar, sodas, most dairy, most meat, and ALL PROCESSED FOODS. Drink lots and lots of water. Try this experiment I once did myself: for an entire month, drink ONLY water. I did that, and the next time I had a soda, it was completely disgusting! Easy way to kick the soda habit, IMO.

The reason I would try diet first is because we are SUPPOSED to sweat. That is how our lymph nodes get rid of toxins. I would also eliminate deodorants and antiperspirants, as these clog the sweat glands, and that interferes with the body's natural way of detoxifying. Wash your armpits with soap and water, and pat dry, do it more than once a day if necessary. Yes, you will still smell while doing this, but if you eliminate processed foods and drink water, your body will start to detoxify, and the smell will decrease over time.
    mawd

Answer by mawd at 12:37 PM on May. 6, 2010

• i agree with mawd.
    it might be hard, but well worth it in the end!
    also, has this been going on always, are you on any bc? hormones can cause a smell too...but i would start with a clean diet if this has been an ongoing issue.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:05 PM on May. 6, 2010

• anon, history, and mawd

Thank you. Great advice. I do eat minimum amounts of meat. I know that I have to switch eating habits. I will try my best. thanks again for the advice. OP
    Anonymous

• happy2

OOps I missed you there! Thank you too. OP
    Anonymous

• happy2
    NO I'm not on BC, nothing at all. Actually I'm breastfeeding. Not even vitamins. OP
    Anonymous