Five Morgan Hill students sent home for wearing American flag T-shirts

Live Oak High School students from left, Daniel Galli, Austin Carvalho, Matt Dariano and Dominic Maciel were sent home from school Wednesday because they were wearing American flag t-shirts on Cinco de Mayo.
Photo by: Lora Schraft, Staff Photographer

Freshman Laura Ponce shows off her Mexican pride as she wears a Mexican flag over her shoulders and wears facepaint Wednesday as she waits for school to get out at Live Oak.

Five Live Oak High School students' First Amendment rights were challenged this morning when they were asked to leave school because they donned American flag T-shirts on Cinco de Mayo. Officials at the school chose not to comment on the situation, but one student said an official called the T-shirts "incendiary."

gammie

Asked by gammie at 9:26 AM on May. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Oh for the love of Pete! The American flag and the word American should never considered unacceptable...unless something unacceptable is added to it. IMO, the school clearly violated the 1st amendment rights of these students. However, we all know rights can/are limited once you enter the school grounds. Another however..the school should not have allowed the flag draping/wearing by others.

OP, where did this happen? What state? I am feeling a little snippy this morning (hormones)..I would love to give them a call!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:33 AM on May. 6, 2010

• http://www.gilroydispatch.com/news/265404-five-morgan-hill-students-sent-home-for-wearing-american-flag-t-shirt

you can read more here.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 9:27 AM on May. 6, 2010

• that is... dumb. seriously. cinco de mayo is a drinking holiday here in the states! thats all most people look at it as!
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 9:33 AM on May. 6, 2010

• I believe the problems are the schools. They will not let Americans kids be proud of being Americans.
    You have to be sensitive to others that might be here illegal. That is just plan stupid!!

After 9/11 people were saying do not show your pride by wearing the American flag pin, you might piss people off??

I'm very proud of being a American citizen I will wear a flag shirt (from lucky) have a American flag flying in front of my home, almost everyday.
    We need that pride back and stop being told to be S-E-N-S-I-T-I-V-E to others. We are in Americans in America fly a flag be proud.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 9:44 AM on May. 6, 2010

• All of that flag wearing, red white and blue or red white and green had nothing to do with being proud or being a citizen or cinco de mayo. It had to do with racial tensions in a school where there are obviously present. The school administration is clearly not helping the problem but only contributing to it. No day should have been recognized in a school funded by tax dollars. No race or religious holidays should be recognized. Just another day like any other, and strict enforcement on both sides. If it makes any difference, my daughter wore a shirt yesterday that said " American Cowgirl", and she came home with it turned inside out. She only said her teacher made her do it. And we are in GA, had no idea she was dressing for Cinco de Mayo or for exuding American heritage. It was just a shirt.

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:48 AM on May. 6, 2010

• **they are obviously..........
    can't type today.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:49 AM on May. 6, 2010

• Unbelievable. This says a lot about the turn in this country.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 9:51 AM on May. 6, 2010

• jewjewbee did you call the school and ask why they made her wear her T-shirt inside out?
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 9:51 AM on May. 6, 2010

• Nope. She said she had a field trip, had a fun day, but her teacher made her turn her shirt inside out. It's a black and pink glittery tshirt, she wears it like twice a week. When it comes out of the laundry I'll photo it for ya if ya want. Until this question came up I didn't even think anything about it. Kids are goofy, I don't know that I even really believed what her story was. She's 7 and she also came home saying someone stole all her sillybands. Who knows what went on yesterday at school!!
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:54 AM on May. 6, 2010

• Okay, they let the girl with the Mexican flag stay, and kick out the kids wearing American flags? That is SO wrong.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:56 AM on May. 6, 2010