independent 2 yr old

my daughter sabrina who turns 3 in september is really short tempered and lately she crys about everything she doesnt want me to brush her hair, trim her nails or clean her ears she throws a screaming fit how do i teach her it's okay and it's all part of being clean?

sabrinasmommy07

Asked by sabrinasmommy07 at 9:50 AM on May. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Let her be a helper in the process. If she's independent, she'll want to have that control. Let her start brushing- and then let her pick out her own hair accessories while you finish up. Trimming nails? Paint them afterward- play beauty shop. :-) You don't trim nails everyday- so set aside time to make it fun. Give her a tissue to wipe out her ears... then you can check after her. I always tell my kids that I'm looking for potatoes... not sure why, lol, but they think it is funny for me to be looking for something in there.

The key is to not make it a fight, but to make it a part of your day and something that she can be a part of too.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 9:55 AM on May. 6, 2010

• You got me, my son is 2-1/2 and started saying NO to everything.. and tantrums about everything.. I don't know what to do either.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:34 AM on May. 6, 2010

• Give her choices whenever you can. "Do you want a braid or a pony tail? What elastic should I use?" "Do you want to brush your hair in the bathroom or on the couch?" I mean choices where both options are equally acceptable to you and both are not awful to her, either, so not of the "either you let me do this or you're in time-out" variety. Last night, I made a taco for my 3 year-old and he started screaming when he saw the atrocious dinner I had placed in front of him. Then my husband took him into the kitchen and said, "okay, pick one -- soft shell or hard shell... meat or beans? this cheese or that cheese?"... wouldn't you know, the tantrum stopped and he made the EXACT taco I had just given him. I wish I could remember this advice myself more often?
    Anonymous

• thanks for the answers very helpful..maybe i should find the balance of turning everything into a game but also teaching her responability.
    sabrinasmommy07

Answer by sabrinasmommy07 at 10:26 AM on May. 8, 2010