If you knew an illegal immigrant...

Will you get in trouble for knowing an illegal immigrant even though you didn't know they were illegal?
I know someone who got deported yesterday. He was a friend, I do not ask for identification from friends. My DH said we can get in trouble for knowing him? Is it true?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on May. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• omg....what happened? how did they get deported...and no you cant get in trouble for knowing or being friends with them....only if they are living with you or you are helping them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on May. 6, 2010

• You won't get into trouble. My ex-fil is illegal. No idea where he is now, but I'm not calling on him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on May. 6, 2010

• This is OP:
    They apparently were looking for him. I guess he got deported before and came here illegally again. We have known him for 3 years!
    He has let us borrow his car before when we were moving and he let us stay at his house when our neighborhood was evacuated for flooding.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on May. 6, 2010

• that is kinda sad. sounds like a decent person. was he in legal trouble other than crossing illegally?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on May. 6, 2010

• No, no legal trouble at all. He overstayed his visa the first time. His family (wife and 4 kids) were in the home country and he was making money to send to them,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on May. 6, 2010

• no, you cannot get in trouble unless for some reason they think you were helping him to be here illegally on purpose.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:04 PM on May. 6, 2010