Blacks Only 5th grade field trip?

Is it appropriate for school district funds to go towards a segregated field trip during school hours for an off-hours, race based school club?

http://www.annarbor.com/news/black-student-only-field-trip-sparks-controversy-at-ann-arbor-elementary-school/

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 10:46 AM on May. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Even if they hadn't funded any part of that trip, it would still be incredibly inappropriate because the school ALLOWED it to take place during school hours.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:41 AM on May. 6, 2010

• NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:46 AM on May. 6, 2010

• Be careful... They will accuse you of profiling on here. Just depends who the target it is guess.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on May. 6, 2010

• The article won't load for me, but based on what you asked, my answer would be NO.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:57 AM on May. 6, 2010

• not appropriate at all
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on May. 6, 2010

• school district funds did NOT pay for the trip
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:06 AM on May. 6, 2010

• If it is a school club and they fund other school clubs why not? They fund sports and German club. I bet if you look that white kids are permitted to join, but they just aren't interested. If they banned white kids from the club, the club won't exist. As long as it is off hours I don't have a problem with it. If they did it during school hours then ithink youwould run into problems with kids joining just to miss class and a lot of money would be wasted on people who didn't care about the subject matter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on May. 6, 2010

Too long to copy and paste, but in a nutshell, this teacher runs a club called "Lunch Bunch" for black students only. He took the group on a field trip to hear a rocket scientist speak. Field trip was during school hours, no other students were allowed to go. The teacher wrote an open letter of apology saying it should've been "handled better" but defending having a black student only field trip because his point was for them to see a black scientist and know they could do the same thing.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:08 AM on May. 6, 2010

They carpooled to the event?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:10 AM on May. 6, 2010

• I don't think any school sponsored activity (regardless of who paid) should be segregated. If the students choose to meet and attend the activity outside of school that's one thing but if the school is arranging it and sponsoring it should be open to all.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 11:11 AM on May. 6, 2010