telling a 2 year old about a new baby

me and my husband have one beautiful baby boy, how is almost 2 years old. we are headed to the doctor today to talk about having another child. our son was a preemie. and we want to make sure its safe to have another child but how do we tell our 2 year old that mommy and daddy are having another child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on May. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would wait till you are actually pregnant. Then wait a couple months then just tell him hes gonna have a new little best friend come live with him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on May. 6, 2010

• Well i would first wait untill you are pregnant. Then just sit down and tell him your going to be a big brother, your going to have a baby brother or sister. Show him the sonogram pictures keep him involved with decorating the new baby's room and buying things for the baby.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 11:32 AM on May. 6, 2010

• I agree, wait until it's a sure thing... like when you would feel comfortable telling anyone and everyone, because you don't want to have to un-tell him if, heaven forbid, something should happen. I don't want to sound morbid, but a friend of ours made that mistake and it was a sticky situation. There are tons of age appropriate books about siblings. You could introduce some of those now so he's familiar with the concept. And point out sibling relationships if you have other friends with two kids, etc. When the time comes, just explain it. He may be excited or he may totally reject it... whatever emotion, if any, that he has will have little to do with how he will react to a new sibling once he or she arrives. It will not be much of a reality for him until that day, anyway.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:50 AM on May. 6, 2010

• I agree, wait. Then tell him "there is a baby in mommy's tummy, and you're going to be a big brother!" He wont fully understand until the baby comes out and you are home.
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 2:47 PM on May. 6, 2010