potty training PIOG

My daughter is 20 months old, and has been wearing underwear full-time for a couple of months now. Dry all night, dry every nap. If we are in the car and she needs to go potty, she says so. If I put her on the potty before and after each sleep and then about every 1.5-2 hrs, then she has no accidents at all. The only issue is that she does not take herself to the potty or tell me she needs to go on her own when we're at home. I've tried just letting her have the accidents, but it just doesn't seem to make a difference. I do small rewards and lots of praise and I even wash her off in the bath if she wets her pants, but none of those things get her to tell me she needs to go. It's really no trouble to help her to be accident-free, it's not like I have to nag her constantly or anything. But about 6 wks ago she WAS telling me every time. She had a whole week of no accidents and we only took her if she asked. What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on May. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• Well, all kids regress. And, I believe at first, you may have been more trained to take her than her trained to use it. So, I would just keep taking her and talking to her. She will get back on track. Since I know most kids are trained at around 2.5...then, she will in probably a month or two of you taking her will catch on again and move forward.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:22 AM on May. 6, 2010

• Before I wasn't trained to take her... For that full week I was talking about, she would come and get me when I was in another room even and tell me she needed to go. Then, after that week, we did nothing different and it was just constant accidents. So since then we've been either taking her or reminding her to tell us... but for that one week, she totally got it! I just wondered if us taking her now was going to make it so we have to take her forever and ever, or if anyone had the experience of going from this stage into the child initiating the potty trips naturally? I mean rather than us just letting her wet herself until she gets it? Because that's the advice I have usually heard. I guess my point is I'm kind of okay taking her periodically, and it seems to keep morale high and keep the potty a positive experience... Or should I worry that this will hinder her in the long-run?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on May. 6, 2010

• When I trained my son, I took him every 15 minutes for awhile until he was getting it, then bumped to 30, then 45...etc until he just started going on his own. It took about 4 or 5 days. And by the end, he was trained forever. He was 2.5 and I did take him at first and slowly weaned him off that by add 15 minutes every day/half day.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:35 AM on May. 6, 2010

• Most kids need reminders... in daycare, they get constant reminders to potty until the age of five.. and I remember up til the first grade standing in line outside the bathrooms and the teachers warning us if we would need to go in the next hour... we should go now!
    She's not even two yet... just keep giving her reminders.. and if she asks or goes on her own... good for her! Potty trained kids does not mean they'll always go on their own, and most don't get to that stage until 3.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on May. 6, 2010

• Okay, thanks, that does make me feel better. Things went a little differently with my first daughter... we went cold-turkey to underwear and hunkered down for a few days and she got it... with accidents at first but she got it... She was a little older because we started right at 20 months, the age our second daughter is now... I
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on May. 6, 2010