How to get my son to swallow pills?

I asked this yesterday and got a lot of answers and I thank everyone. However I should have clarified the real problem pills are big gel pills. They are Salmon Oil pills, IDK if anyone knows how big the fish oil pills are, but they are huge and taste very nasty :) I tried them. Thank You Everyone!!

T.J.76

Asked by T.J.76 at 11:42 AM on May. 6, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Does he have to have salmon oil? those kill oil pills are a lot smaller.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 11:45 AM on May. 6, 2010

• Yes he has to have the Salmon Oil pills. I was looking at the store and they have fish oil in a liquid form but apparently that isnt what the doctor wants him to have she wants the Salmon Oil.
    T.J.76

Answer by T.J.76 at 12:07 PM on May. 6, 2010

• Can you puncture the capsule and squeeze the contents out?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:32 PM on May. 6, 2010

• We have been doing that but cant seem to hide the flavor in anything and it gives him fish burps. The Dr said to freeze them but then u cant squeeze them.
    T.J.76

Answer by T.J.76 at 12:38 PM on May. 6, 2010

• hmmm... what about mixing them in a smoothie? I can hide spinach in a banana, strawberry and peanut butter smoothie. Nothing to help the fish burps just kinda how it is with fish oil tabs. They are ew. :0)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:49 PM on May. 6, 2010

• how about in jello or even some ice cream or sorbet
    Honestly if your child has a mental block about it as some do you are not going to get those suckers down
    chica1965

Answer by chica1965 at 12:57 PM on May. 6, 2010

• I didn't read the other question/answers but have you tried having him fill his mouth with water and then putting the pill in? Could be messy at first, but this is how my 7 year old takes pills.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 12:56 AM on May. 8, 2010

• Kiwi decided to switch her old heart meds from liquid to pill form a couple months before she turned 5, and at first, it was hard for her. We practiced with tic-tacs, mini m&ms, regular size m&ms, and smarties. She's not on heart meds anymore (yay!), but takes allergy meds everyday. She puts the liquid in her mouth, then uses her finger to push the pill in between her lips, tilts her head back and wiggles it to get the pill unstuck from her tongue, then swallows when the pill falls to the back of her mouth. Some pills she has had to take floated instead of sank, so she leaned her head forward after it was in her mouth and then swallowed once it was closer to the back of her mouth. I have found milk works best with pills since it's thicker and stronger tasting to cover the pill flavor, anything carbonated is a bad idea, it just fizzes the pills.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 5:01 PM on May. 8, 2010