Can we have foster kids or adopt if we don't vaccinate?

It is against our religious beliefs to vaccinate our children. We would of course have any foster children vaccinated since they would not technically be our own. We are open to the idea of adopting however and then the vaccinations would stop. Could this be a problem? I would like to know while we are still in the contemplating stages of this decision (we would not do it for at least a couple of years since our kids are still very young).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:04 PM on May. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• No. As long as they are foster kis and the get their vaccines it won't matter what you do when you adopt and they become yours.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 12:07 PM on May. 6, 2010

• My advice is that you talk to a foster care agency (perhaps one that you would want to work with later) and just explain the situation to them and just ask. They'll have a better idea of whether or not that would be a problem.
    Anonymous

• What you do AFTER you adopt is your business not the adoption agencys. Once you adopt, you make the decisions and honestly I don't know what adoption agency would even ask you what your lans are with the child after you adopt, if they did I would walk out of there real fast and find a new agency. I am a foster parent and adoptive parent and I have never discussed what i plan to do after adoption.
    Anonymous

• Wards of the state are vaccinated. The state gets to make the 'in there best interest' type choices. They are not your kids you have no say. Once you adopt they are your and the choice is yours.
    Anonymous

• It depends on the state. Some states will not permit you to adopt or foster unless everyone in your home is up to date on vaccines. I know a few moms who have had this issue. My advise is to get a copy of your states foster and adoption laws and get to know them well. As a family who doesn't believe in vaccines, I think it's horrid that this type of thing would stop someone from loving a child who needs it... But, here in PA, I don't have the option to adopt because I don't participate in religious services - because I'm not Christian/Jewish/Islamic... SO my informed choice not to poison my children with vaccines has nothing to do with whether or not I can ever adopt... Either way, it's sad... Kids need love and safety - religious beliefs, vaccines... it's all just filler and shouldn't matter!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:55 PM on May. 6, 2010