Christians, do you feel the modern church/christians are too legalistic and have lost Jesus's true message?

Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. - John 15:12-13

'Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against one of your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD. - Leviticus 19:18

AngiDas

Asked by AngiDas at 12:06 PM on May. 6, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• No I think most modern churches have given themselves over to this "make everyone feel good about themselves, nothing is wrong or evil" attitude and lost all sense of what is moral or biblical. They are more concerned with having the biggest, prettiest, or wealthiest church.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 12:10 PM on May. 6, 2010

• simple smileThe truth will be revealed in due time. It is out there already, but there will be a time it will be hard to ignore. Blessings..

Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 12:15 PM on May. 6, 2010

• My church has already got that message but many churches havent yet.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:30 PM on May. 6, 2010

• I think many are more concerned with looks and make everyone feel good. Nothing is wrong, whatever makes you FEEL GOOD is right.
    There ARE rules/laws, there ARE sins, there are things we are supposed to do and not do. Yes we are supposed to love, but that doesn't mean accept sin. I don't live my life based on trying to correct people, I try to love first and foremost. That doesn't mean there isn't room for growth, to help your brothers and sisters in Christ when they go astray. Love and tolerance isn't what Christianity is all about. It is about SERVING GOD, not yourself or the world.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 12:37 PM on May. 6, 2010

• i THINK THEY TEACH IT, BUT FORGOT THE TRUE MEANING, AND REASON BEHIND IT
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:38 PM on May. 6, 2010

• I think some churches are horrible, I think it is up to the individual to find one that is still focusing on what they should. I find it tacky when a church has to be the biggest and best, and then asks its congregation to keep giving them money for it. I think that money could be doing so much more to help people then just going to build the biggest church in the world. These ones have lost their way in my mind, and I wouldnt want to attend one.
    Anonymous

• Yes. I think too many "Christians" have become self-absorbed and hateful to those who are different than themselves. And there is too much proselytizing (sp???). "Love your neighbor as yourself" has been lost to the types of Westboro Baptist, tea partiers shouting racial and homophobic epithets, and the pursuit of the almighty dollar.
    Anonymous

• I think some Christians are so wrapped up in the orthodoxy or dogma, in the legalistic side or self righteousness, and have lost sight of the point, yes.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:13 PM on May. 6, 2010

• I think people are too worried about getting others to conform to their idea of what Christianity is supposed to look like. If we are following the commands of Christ we are so busy working on ourselves and loving others (without judging) that we wouldn't even have time to NOTICE the sins and flaws in others. (and before anyone goes there, I'm not talking about sins like murder, adultery, child molestation. And I'm not talking about hiding my head in the sand like an ostrich. I"m talking about being way too interested in the "small stuff" and turning it into something bigger than it is.)
    Anonymous

• I believe modern churches have become something for socializing and making money.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 3:22 PM on May. 6, 2010