So nervous what do you think?

So I pay 1,500 a month for rent on a place that is not worth that cost. My basement flooded back the first week of January so we have been living with 5 months of black mold and flies and stinkiness. I am pregnant and want to move cause the landlord said I have to clean it up myself even though the flood is due to rain and the basements sump pump being broken. The only way I can get a new place is if I stop paying him the rent. Not ony is the mold an issues but we have rats that you can hear in our ceiling fighting with each other. Since I have lived here the rats have come into the house and poo'd on counters and such and my cats have killed 5 rats that have entered the house. Do you think I am making a stupid choice in not paying him anymore? We even have mold in our bathroom due to a leaking toilet that he refuses to fix and I am stressing about not paying him!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on May. 6, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Certain types of mold can be very very dangerous. They can cause permanent brain and lung damage.

laciD

Answer by laciD at 12:11 PM on May. 6, 2010

• i think technically, what you are supposed to do is put the rent in an escrow account until the repairs are made.
    if you gave him a move out notice with no rent, and state why there is no rent, he may or may not sue you for the rent. i do think that b/c of the awful living conditions, you may win if the case went to court, but you may want to consult an attorney, usually consults are free (sort of)
    i wish you luck!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:11 PM on May. 6, 2010

• You can't just not pay him. It will go on your credit record. I would put out rat poison in a place the cats can't go, like in the ceiling. Tell him you need to get the sump pump fixed. Demand that it be fixed. How long is your lease? Just wait it out until then.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:13 PM on May. 6, 2010

• It is a month to month lease and the only way to put rat poison in the ceiling would be to put a hole in the ceiling. And he fixed the sump pump but is telling me I have to clean the mold cause he doesn't want to pay for it. And I have put rat poison out but they are still coming, more so in the ceiling in my bedroom. Its creepy. He knows all about it and just doesn't care he is a young punky landlord. Plus my son keeps getting respitory infections and throat infections.
    Anonymous

• You should write a letter requesting these things be fixed, take pics, explain what is happening because of the problems. Keep a copy for yourself. If he doesn't fix them in a reasonable time frame, then that is on him. His responsibility to make sure the house is habitable. GL
    Sacheen.T.

Answer by Sacheen.T. at 12:32 PM on May. 6, 2010

• OP- just read your last post...Keep your medical records. Ask the Doc to confirm that it could be more likely than not that these conditions are causing your LO to be ill. Like other posters have said, some forms of mold can be very dangerous.
    Sacheen.T.

Answer by Sacheen.T. at 12:35 PM on May. 6, 2010

• I wrote him a letter on April 15th he said he would be out on April 18th but did not show up for the first time until May 2nd. This is when he said clean it yourself. I let him know that I am pregnant with TWINS and cannot clean it myself then he said well I guess your gonna have to move then. I feel like he is being an ass about it because he knows deep down I do not want to move and that I will just keep paying him due to my son being in Kindergarten.
    Anonymous

• Try some type of housing or tenants association. Legally if you are paying rent the property has to be safe to live in. If there is certain types of mold growing the house could actually be condemned.

laciD

Answer by laciD at 12:43 PM on May. 6, 2010

• Oh and I sent him many pictures showing just how bad it is and he still didn't come out until May 2nd. I am just getting pissed and stressed cause to be able to move we can't pay him the rent. If we pay him the rent that means we have to stay here.
    Anonymous

• You can't not pay the rent, but you can go to the health department about the mold. It is the landlord's responsibility to clean up after a known flood OR he has to give you compensation for you cleaning it up. BUT being that you are pregnant with twins......it needs to be him.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:17 PM on May. 6, 2010