Kind of a rant... my mom!!! GAHHHH!

So my son cut his finger this morning on a piece of sharp plastic he found somewhere. It kept bleeding and he wouldn't keep a bandaid on so I called my mom for advice. She didn't answer, but just called back and I told her why I called and she was like, "You need to crawl around and look for stuff on your floor. Stuff keeps happening. Like when he got into the sunscreen last week." etc etc.
But recently she keeps giving all the unsolicited advice about my son. "You should do this and that and have you done this?" It is getting really frustrating! And when she told me to do that I just got all quiet b/c all I wanted to do was freak out on her! She was like, "what's wrong" and I told her, she has been giving all this unsolicited advice and its annoying. So she got all trite and was like, "Ok well I'll talk to you later."
Our house is clean! But things get dropped and kicked around and kids get hurt or into stuff! cont'

missbreezy214

Asked by missbreezy214 at 12:06 PM on May. 6, 2010 in Relationships

• I vacuum my house like three times a day.. and my one year old still finds stuff to put in her mouth...tell me about it..
    you're mom needs to lighten up and remember how many cuts you got... and realize that it wasn't her fault.. so obviously it's not your fault..
    Oh, and I would stop calling my for advice.. my DH tells me he'd rather me google it then get crap advice from parents..
    Anonymous

• I mean, my son is 20 months and gets into the weirdest places and finds the weirdest things. My house is pretty clean, and he is just really observant. He cut himself on something he had to CLIMB UP THE ENTERTAINMENT CENTER via a chair to get to. It was plenty out of his reach, and yet while I was in the kitchen making breakfast, he was a little sneak!
    And, as for the sunscreen he had taken out of my purse and hidden it, and then came back for it later while my dad was watching him (my dad is a little... unobservant and didn't notice my son had opened it and squeezed it out until it was too late). So it isn't like we have hazardous materials scattered all over the house. I just wish she would keep her mouth shut unless I ASK her thoughts!
    Does anyone else's mom or MIL or anyone do this kind of thing?
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 12:10 PM on May. 6, 2010

• Oh man, I so hate that! My kids are 6yrs-15yrs old and my mom still does that...Go figure, I guess it will never stop.
    yolandasix

Answer by yolandasix at 12:19 PM on May. 6, 2010

• Sometimes I do that too with my grown kids.I only mean to help and I only do it because I care. Maybe that is where she is coming from.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 1:14 PM on May. 6, 2010

• Does your mom live with you to know all these things? If she doesn't then stop telling her what goes on in your house. That stops the unsolicited advice...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 1:18 PM on May. 6, 2010

• stop calling her for sdvice, above you clearly state that you called her for advice, yes she maybe giving unwanted advice beyond the advice you look for, but stop asking her for advice period, when you ask it puts it in her head you want any and all advice she has to offer, i would just stop asking for advice, well from her anyway
    mommie2twogirls

Answer by mommie2twogirls at 2:15 PM on May. 6, 2010

• Something told me toplay devil's advocate here...................... Is there something lacking in your mom's life?...... Is she searching for a way to be needed? Your children grown up and out on their own, is a hard transition for some. Some plan for that and some pretend it will never happen. Just a thought.
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 5:14 PM on May. 7, 2010