Am I the only one that hates the idea of Mothers Day?

We never celebrated as kids, my mom is JW and believed that Mothers should be honored every day, not just one. As a kid I never thought about it, but as a Mom, I completely get it.

If I don't know that you love and honor me the rest of the year, one day can't fix it. And if I do know it, you don't need a special day...

Am I the only one that feels this way or not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 PM on May. 6, 2010 in Holidays

• This actually makes sense! But for mothers day I just ask my son or hubby for an attitude change on their part lol . Or a breakdown free day .I think that mothers day shouldnt be about buying jewelry, or expensive things, although, dont get me wrong its nice, and Im sure we all deserve it, but I feel being a mother itself is a gift, and like you stated, we should be honored everyday, even if its just a small jesture to help out .! :)
    colbysmommie95

Answer by colbysmommie95 at 12:31 PM on May. 6, 2010

• I see what you are saying. I love mothers day though!!!!!
    Anonymous

• i dont get a mothers day this year :( i have to work alll day....but after i get off work, i would like nothing more than the kids to be well behaved. just a quiet relaxing evening. my kids are 5 and 3 and in full sibling rialry mode ...so we will c.
    Anonymous

• I agree with colbiesmommy that being a Mother itself, is a gift. I dont like the idea of my husband buying me expensive things and pretending they are from the kids and I told him that. Instead, they make me a card (which is way better!) and we get to spend the day doing whatever I want, which is a real treat as I am seriously outnumbered in my household. Mothers should be appreciated every day, but so should fathers, children, and all people. I like that Mothers Day is mine alone and I dont have to compromise on lunch plans, where we go for a hike, etc. The boys dont whine and complain when I pick a picnic in the park instead of a car show and that is all the gift I need. lol.
    Anonymous

• I disagree only because this principal could be applied to every anniversary, birthday, religious day, and holiday and then we would have none. Honoring mothers one day is not an excuse to dishonor them the rest of the time. I don't see anything wrong with having one day where everyone does something special to show their mom how much she's appreciated all the time. This will be my first mother's day as a mother (not counting last year when I was pregnant) and I'm looking forward to it!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:57 PM on May. 6, 2010

• I grew up in a family that was JW too and the idea that we should love people every single day and not just one day makes perfect sense. Or does it? Consider the fact that I've never once had a birthday party or any other kind of social holiday. No christmas, no easter, no halloween, no nothing. People create memories on those days and when my mom passed away I didn't have any memories. We never did anything together because we were busy "loving each other ever day". I know you mean well, but my total lack of warm memories makes my whole family experience "void and without form". My family used it as an excuse to save money and avoid inconvenience. In my opinion this is one bad idea. Please join the world in celebrating people in an extra special way on holidays. Make sure the feel loved, make lasting memories together and then you can go back to loving them every day.
    Anonymous

• I HATE Mothers Day, and most other holidays. I see no point in them. For me, holidays have become an excuse to spend money and expect gifts. Memories should be formed every day - that's no excuse. I was raised JW, and that was the one part I always agreed with. Holidays for me are about honoring THAT DAY, because I'm Pagan. They are about honoring and celebrating the cycle of the year... For me I see commercial holidays and birthdays as little more than a reason to spend money. I don't know what is coming tomorrow, and would much rather celebrate my husband and kids TODAY, than on any special holiday! We don't make a big deal out of birthdays or holidays for that exact reason... I love them every day, and they know it every day - if not, those day's don't matter anyways.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:51 PM on May. 6, 2010

• the way you say it does make sense.. but mother's day is also a special day for families especially if they live farther apart. It doesn't have to be about the money.. but sometimes maybe mom just needs a day off for herself, and it doesn't hurt to make or carve a day out for JUST that each year.

This year we are taking my mother out to eat.. actually the boys are treating us to the brunch. It's a great time for us all to catch up, and this year, see the new restaurant. Yes we probably could plan these get togethers on another date.. but when you already have a date on the calendar it make it easier for some to plan around.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:36 PM on May. 7, 2010

• This is an old question, but I hate Mother's Day too. I hate how it feels so forced and it really isn't about me. For example, if I were do whatever i wanted for one day I would sleep in until 11am, eat Hardee's biscuits and gravy with IHOP chocolate milk in bed, then watch whatever movies or shows I wanted all day, eat at Chili's for dinner, and go to a movie alone, followed by going to bed and going to sleep. All the while not seeing anyone except if I needed something. That just never happens.
    And don't tell me i don't appreciate being a mother because I had kids young. That is the dumbest thing ever and I actually had someone say that to me before.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 9:35 PM on May. 27, 2010