how do you cure a phobia?

i have a serious phobia of spiders. & its really serious. they make me feel like im going to throw up, i start shaking, i feel itchy, my heart starts beating, i cry etc. - & where i live theres so many of them. they always get in my car, & if i see one, i pull over, run out of my car and wont get back in. i will make someone come and get me. i have nightmares about them every night. its gotten really bad latley now that summers here and they are all comming out. it really effects my life. what can i do about this? please dont tell me "they cant hurt you" or anything like that bcuz that doesnt help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on May. 6, 2010 in Health

• I have worked thru many phobias myself and I know what you have there is a full blown case of Arachnophobia. Sounds to me as if it's debilitating your life. You need to make an appointment with a therapist who works with phobias. They have several successful methods for helping you stop reacting with hysteria . A little fear of spiders is normal and healthy. What you have is not normal or healthy, it's a real phobia and you're going to need some help dealing with one this intense. Find someone to help you with this right away, my friend. You'll be glad you did! Good Luck!
    Blabbermouth

Answer by Blabbermouth at 12:49 PM on May. 6, 2010

• DBT therapy or another behavioral therapy.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 12:55 PM on May. 6, 2010

• Hmmmm...I was actually going to ask this very question today myself. Apparently my clothesline has become the neighborhood hangout for spiders. And I don't have a dryer so I HAVE to hang up the clothes! I cry too, so you are not alone. My neighbors probably think they live next to a crazy woman.
    Anonymous

• Look into a desensitization therapy, like the one James Wolpe discovered. Here's what I just wrote about it for my psychology term paper: Wolpe’s desensitization therapy begins by teaching a system of deep-muscle relaxation. Then the person constructs a list of situations that prompt various degrees of fear or anxiety, from intensely frightening to only mildly so. While deeply relaxed, the person imagines the least distressing situation on the list. If the patient succeeds in remaining relaxed, the person proceeds to the next item on the list and so on until no anxiety is felt, even when imagining the most frightening situation.
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 3:55 PM on May. 6, 2010