Carseat question

My DD is 7 months on monday, 17lbs and I don't know how long but she's pretty big. I have the carseat/stroller travel system and DDs feet hang about an inch or two out of the carseat. Am I supposed to get a new carseat? I don't feel safe driving with her feet touching the seat. Any carseat recommendations?

Marix3

Asked by Marix3 at 12:55 PM on May. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Leave her until she is AT LEAST 20lbs, unless you buy a seat and plan to continue to RF her, which is much safer than FF.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 12:55 PM on May. 6, 2010

• I would rear face...thats why i'm asing
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 1:01 PM on May. 6, 2010

• asking sorry
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 1:03 PM on May. 6, 2010

• I don't know what state you're in but where I live (Oregon) they have to be 20lbs AND 1 year. Any sooner than those two milestones, and you're breaking the law. I would go out and buy a new seat that does both RF and FF. We have one that goes up to 100lbs. It also has the belt guides for when they don't need the 5point harness anymore.
    Megs5384

Answer by Megs5384 at 1:06 PM on May. 6, 2010

• It doesn't matter that baby's legs hit the seat, this is normal and not a problem! You can move to a convertible seat any time but you want to keep her rear facing until at least 2yrs old according to the new guidelines from the AAP.
    "Toddlers should remain rear-facing in a convertible car seat until they have reached the maximum height and weight recommended for the model, or at least the age of 2."
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:11 PM on May. 6, 2010

• How far over the edge baby's feet are hanging has nothing to do with whether she's too big for the seat; kids in rear-facing seats who are involved in car wrecks very rarely (if ever) have their legs broken, so that's not something to worry about. Weight and height requirements for your particular seat should be posted on the seat somewhere. Weight you need to stick with, but height is more of a guideline; when rear-facing, there should be one inch of hard plastic shell above the top of baby's head.

If you want to get a new carseat, feel free. My personal requirements for getting a convertible were that baby had to be sitting up on his/her own so if we went somewhere I could put him/her in the cart or high chair and not have to hold him/her the whole time. We got the Evenflo Triumph Advance for both of ours, and we absolutely love it. Not too expensive and lots of neat features. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:15 PM on May. 6, 2010

• i heard they are too long for the first car seat when their head is two inches from the top of the carseat
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:39 PM on May. 6, 2010

• Check the manual because there are weight and height limits on infant seats. Switch her to a rear facing convertible car seat. They work for infants and then forward face and eventually a booster. We have the Eddie Bauer Alpha Omega Elite for our two oldest and our LO will get one when its time. We love it!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 2:30 PM on May. 6, 2010

• I never said ANYTHING about moving her forward facing. I asked if I should get a different seat. I'm very clear on the 20lb & 1 year law.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 3:41 PM on May. 6, 2010

• No. Legs are fine, as long as she is under the weight limit, and has one inch of hard shell above her head, the seat is not outgrown yet.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:57 PM on May. 6, 2010