Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No one wants to help me?

I made an appointment to see my doctor this morning. Im so fed up with myself. Now dont get me wrong, I am by no means depressed. So I told my doctor what has been going on, for what seems like my whole life, but is now seriously effecting my life. My mind races, my thoughts are all jumbled, I cant concentrate, I cant sleep, I feel like I have to constantly be doing something but then when I sit down to do something my mind just wonders and I stray from what I was doing. Its annoying now. I have been this way for as long as I can remember. So I tell my doctor this and his response is "I have been your doctor since you were 4 and your mom never mentioned this problem. Sounds to me like you just want some anti-depressants or something." Umm...Im not depressed? Im rather happy. Other than this constant annoyance. So why wont he help me?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:34 PM on May. 6, 2010 in Health

Answers (6)
  • Go to a different doctor.... why are you going to the same doctor you've been to since you were four?

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 PM on May. 6, 2010

  • OP-He is a family doctor. My 2 year old daughter has also been seeing him, since the day she was born actually. Up until now, I loved him, trusted him with my health. Now idk anymore.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on May. 6, 2010

  • :-( even though you may love/trust your family dr-- if he's going off of what your mom did or didn't see as a problem instead of what YOU now see as one, you should be seeing someone else. Lots of people aren't diagnosed with things until later in life (as an example- pretty sure I have ADD. My sisters were both diagnosed and medicated as kids, but since i maintained my grades I never was. The thing is, I maintained my grades despite being too unfocused to complete my work. Pretty often I'd do make up or extra credit work even though a class was EASY, just because I'd failed to do the work in the first place. Now as an adult I can see the signs. I have a hard time focusing or completing a task even now). Go see another dr, the worst that can happen is they say the same thing. But to me it sounds like something that was annoying but manageable, and is now getting harder for you to handle- hopefully a dr will see that.

    Answer by Bensmommy611 at 1:52 PM on May. 6, 2010

  • GPs are generally not good with psychological issues. Talk to a shrink about it.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on May. 6, 2010

  • First, find a new doctor. Second, in my opinion, it sounds like you have ADD/ADHD.

    Answer by momoftwins240 at 2:08 PM on May. 6, 2010

  • I would definitely recommend a new dr. You can still keep this dr for your general and then see a different one for specific problems. My whole family sees one dr, whom I love, but I also have a specific gynocologist on the side for any "girly problems." It's not that I don't trust our general dr, it's just that I like going to someone who deals with that sort of thing day to day and is very familiar with it. I definitely can't hurt you to look around. This is your health after all and if your not in charge of it, then who is?!

    Answer by things_not_sane at 4:13 PM on May. 6, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.