Is he getting short changed?

Ok. I have been dealing w/ my friend's pregnant daughter & her BF lately. He has no GED or special training & finally found a temp agency that would give him work. He was working at the iron factory shoveling the ash & small hot slivers. 8 hours a day, start @6, 30 min lunch, they pay him$7.75 hr, cash in hand end of day. He ended up w/$42 minus lunch so $32. Now to MY mind this is about right: after taxes & agency fees that's $6 hr. For unskilled day labor. They believe it should be $10hr after taxes & fees due to the dangers involved. He's about ready to walk after 4 days if they won't give him more $. So I'm wondering if he is getting short changed? Or should he just stick w/this until he finds a better job elsewhere?

elizabooks

Asked by elizabooks at 1:37 PM on May. 6, 2010 in Money & Work

• sounds right to me....
    and why the hell was lunch $10?!?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:39 PM on May. 6, 2010

• As uneducated unskilled labor he really shouldn't expect more than min. wage. It sucks but that is usually how it is.

laciD

Answer by laciD at 1:39 PM on May. 6, 2010

• Sounds about right. He should be very happy he has a job.
    Anonymous

• He should stay and try to work an schedule where he can't further his education. Also he should ask if his current job provides opportunities for advancement.
    Energ8zr

Answer by Energ8zr at 1:47 PM on May. 6, 2010

• He can take it or leave it right now. That's the job and the pay, if he doesn't do it someone else will. If he starts complaining to the temp agency he'll lose the job anyway. Right now he doesn't seem to have many options, I hope for that baby he's working on his GED.
    camiam81

Answer by camiam81 at 1:49 PM on May. 6, 2010

• He can*** further his education
    Energ8zr

Answer by Energ8zr at 1:56 PM on May. 6, 2010

• No, he's not getting short changed. He has absolutely no bargaining room to get more money. He's been on the job only 4 days and he's unskilled/uneducated labor. If he demands more money they'll show him the door and he's also libel to be dropped from the one temp agency that could find him work. He needs to be grateful for the work he can get instead of making unreasonable demands.
    Anonymous

• Thank you. It was getting a bit tiring having to explain to them that this was fair after all. Thing is he has most of the afternoon off, so he could start studying for his GED or be out job searching, or even just helping out around the house, but apparently he just doesn't think that it is fair to do things like that after he works a full day.
    elizabooks

Answer by elizabooks at 2:23 PM on May. 6, 2010

• omg, do you have a dent in your head from banging it against the wall after talking to him? lol That would drive me bonkers! I'm sorry you've got to listen to it.
    Anonymous

• I think for someone who doesn't even have a GED, he needs to shut up and be grateful he HAS a job.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 3:50 PM on May. 6, 2010