VBAC dilemma...Second pregnancy...Advice Please!?!?!?

I am literally in tears as I type because I just do not know what to do...

I had a c-section with my 1st child (17 months old) because I had been in labor (early-harsh-labor) for 36 hours, she was under alot of stress, I wasn't dialating, her heartbeat stopped, so we HAD to do a c-section.

Now I'm pregnant with our second child (16 weeks along) and I've tried expressing to my Dr. (a different one than my first) about how important it is to me that I have a vaginal birth. I want to attempt it with no pain medication, but I'm not opposed to meds. When I spoke with him, he told me that there is a 4% chance that my uterus could rip, and that for me go into labor naturally and to have a natural birth, the L&D staff would have to be on call for 24hrs... Umm okay and??? is all I could think. I know about the risk, I don't care about the hospital having to be on call!...Continued...

wishwish

Asked by wishwish at 1:53 PM on May. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• If your doctor will not do the birth the way you want to. Go find a doctor that will.

Answer by louise2 at 1:56 PM on May. 6, 2010

• So, I asked about an induction, and all he said was "We'll see" and that its really a painful process... I don't care about the pain either! It seems like he's just giving me excuses, and not really caring about me!!!
    Umm, I want to know whats going to happen! He has me scheduled for a c-section, I saw it on my chart. I'm freaking out! I DO NOT want another c-section unless its medically necessary! I've asked some people about switching Drs. and they all told me that its really to late to find another, and that most in our area won't take me now...

I told my husband that if the Dr. insist on a c-section, I WILL NOT go in that day, and I will just wait for labor to come on its own!!!
    Thats the only thing I can think of to do! Please help! Advice, experiences...anything!
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 1:56 PM on May. 6, 2010

• there is LESS than a 1% chance of a rupture. Screw the doctor and find yourself a Midwife. Doctors have to follow hospital rules where a MW follows YOUR rules. Do you know how much money is in c-sections? Your body will know when it needs to birth your baby, your body will provide the pain relief. join the group Birth Is Natural. there are MILLIONS of women who have had VBAC and THOUSANDS who have had them at home. If you REALLY want a VBAC start looking for midwives. =) join that group, and ASK as many questions as you can think of!
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 1:58 PM on May. 6, 2010

• it is NEVER too late to get a new care provider!
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 1:59 PM on May. 6, 2010

• Hospital staff is already on call and so are surgeons. See if you can find a midwife, a lot of them will attend a VBAC, I am not sure how far along you are but you can always try a birthing center also.. Keep looking mom, someone might be able to help. The Dr can not force you to do anything you don't want. A lot of Dr and hospitals are scared of VBAC so they will try to avoid them as much as possible...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:00 PM on May. 6, 2010

• My story is the exact opposit where I had a normal labor the first time, then had a c-sec second time due to the same reasons you had one. My doc said if I have a #3 I can chose what route to take for birth. I think if it is that important, they should listen to you.
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 2:01 PM on May. 6, 2010

• IT IS NEVER TOO LATE TO CHANGE DOCTORS!
    Call around to the certified nurse midwives in your area and see if any are willing to do a VBAC with you (since it has more risk, they may not, and that would be the only reason). Otherwise call around. They can at least let you try it--going into labor and see how things progress. There will be lots of monitoring, but I HAD THAT and had never had a c-section, but b/c I had an epi (also unwanted, but i had to be induced b/c my water broke and no progression or contractions). 4% is pretty friggin' low for concern. There is probably that much of a chance you'll breach or something common like that. Doctors bother me, can be so touchy, that's why I stick with my midwife... :)
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 2:02 PM on May. 6, 2010

• You should have no problem switching doctors at only 16 weeks. I switched my doctor at 22 weeks. It will be harder to find a doctor to do a VBAC b/c they get paid more if they do c-section and less chance for them to get sued. Take charge of your medical care, find a new doctor or a midwife.
    Vins_mom09

Answer by Vins_mom09 at 2:03 PM on May. 6, 2010

• I had a csection my first baby... My 2,3,4 were vbacs. My last baby I was told in our area once you have a c section the hospital and doctors will only do cesareans. I went 2 and a half hours away to ou med center the only hospital who would let me have a regular birth. I say find a dr who will do it. I think some drs just want to schedule a csection so they can plan it.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 2:21 PM on May. 6, 2010

• i would definitely find a different doctor or midwife.
    you cannot be induced if you are a VBAC. getting induced increases the risk of rupture for any mom but especially for a mom who has had a c-section before.
    the rupture rate is NOT 4%. it is much lower than that.
    also the hospital staff has to be on-call? that makes no sense. there are people there 24 hours a day anyway.

i'd go into the natural pregnancy/birth group and ask for help there. they are great!!! also ican international's website. you can talk to moms who have been through it before.

my feeling is that your OB wants to pretend that you have the option to birth vaginally w/out really ever giving you that option.
    Anonymous