My midwife wants to sweep my membranes at 38 weeks to try and possibly jumpstart labor. Anyone else had this done?

jaxsonsmomtracy

Asked by jaxsonsmomtracy at 2:21 PM on May. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• it is unusual for a midwife to want to "jumpstart" labor, normally they believe a baby comes when it is ready.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:22 PM on May. 6, 2010

• I think that's what would be referred to as a "medwife" not a "midwife!"
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 2:29 PM on May. 6, 2010

• doesn't sound like she's a good midwife. Let your baby come when it is ready.
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 2:46 PM on May. 6, 2010

• My midwife stripped my membranes because the baby was getting too big--but it didn't do any good it just gave me a week of heavy, hard contractions that brackston hicks because they never started labor.. and they were painful
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 3:19 PM on May. 6, 2010

• My doctor did it to me at 39 weeks. She did it to me on a monday and i had my baby Tuesday morning. Best decision for me because I was in a lot of pain due to my pregnancy and although I was technically 39 weeks, I was actually measuring 3 weeks bigger. So I was more than ready!! lol!
    alysha414

Answer by alysha414 at 3:23 PM on May. 6, 2010

• i would also decline. baby will come when ready, that is just an intervention that can lead to other interventions imo.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 3:59 PM on May. 6, 2010

• It hurt much worse than labor...

Answer by rkoloms at 5:04 PM on May. 6, 2010

• When you say it hurt worse than labor, do you mean the procedure itself? Or the cramping that came afterwards?
    jaxsonsmomtracy

Answer by jaxsonsmomtracy at 5:09 PM on May. 6, 2010

• Why? I would not do this if I were in your shoes, unless there was a good medical reason for the baby to come out early. And a midwife? Must not be a great one if she's willing to intervene.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:51 PM on May. 6, 2010