Anyone build a house? Just curious how much it cost for builing it (not the land).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:45 PM on May. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My sister and brother in-law built a 2,700 sq ft. house for around $175,000 without the land (all bamboo hardwood floors, customized kitchen, granite countertops). They also did most of the labor themselves.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 2:53 PM on May. 6, 2010

• I paid in the late 80's about 200,000. for a 5,000 square foot house, this is in Miami, Fla, this was without the land, the land is an acre and a quarter.

Answer by older at 2:59 PM on May. 6, 2010

• A buddy of ours told me he would give us a deal if we wanted to let him build it. He said $85 a square foot. So that would be $170k for 2000sqft. I guess the going rate is closer to $100 a foot. i'm not sure.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 3:06 PM on May. 6, 2010

• It really depends on where you live and how big you want the house and what building materials you use. A good place to start would be inquiring about a building permit. They have a list of standards for your area that you'll have to follow. It was cheaper for us to build our house on the land we already owned than it would have been to buy an already built one. Money is the least reason I would build another one though. My husband and I really bonded during the experience and had lots of good laughs and frustrations. The experience was def. worth it.
    Anonymous

• It all depends where you're at, how big, what materials, etc. I've seen houses cost anywhere from $30k for materials to $500k for materials. There's no "one size fits all" answer to a question like this.
    Anonymous

• Where we live it is 75-80$ per square foot. We live in the country. In the city about 20 minutes away it is $100/square foot.
    Oliviasmommy131

Answer by Oliviasmommy131 at 7:17 PM on Oct. 17, 2010