If a man had chemo at a young age what are the chances that he is infertile?

I'm asking this for my sister - her husband had chemo at age 6. She wants to start trying to have a baby soon-ish but they don't know if he can even father a child. Any input or advice is appreciated!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:14 PM on May. 6, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• He should get a semen analysis to determine if he is sterile. I have an uncle who had radiation and chemo and surgery to remove a HUGE tumor when he was just about 2. He is completely sterile and they just adopted a little girl who is 30 days older than my son.
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 4:47 PM on May. 6, 2010

• 50/50
    Anonymous

• Why don't they go ask a doctor about this. I always thought chemo, made you sterile.

Answer by louise2 at 3:18 PM on May. 6, 2010

• My brother was told by the sperm bank that his sperm count was so low that it would be a miracle if he ever fathered a child. Without any fertility help, he still managed to have a son. The reason I'm telling you this is that even if your BIL goes to the doctor and they tell him no, tell them not to give up, and to have hope because it can still happen.

Anonymous

• To add to my brothers story, he actually broke up with her because he just knew she cheated on him in order to get pregnant, and he has lived every day of his life regretting it. Thankfully my SIL knew where he was coming from and forgave him!

Anonymous