Any single moms who homeschool and work?

How do you do it? I am having the hardest time with the schools here. My son is in special education and where we are it is all inclusive which is hard on him because of all the changing of classrooms. Also the school doesn't see this as an issue even though my sons Psychologist and I have both told them it is. They refuse to offer the co taught classes that would work perfectly for him. They say they don't provide these although I have been told by a few people that they do. So I have thought about homeschool but need to find work and always figured that it would be impossible. So I thought I would see if anyone else is doing it and what sort of work they did that made this possible. I still don't know if it is workable but figured I would see what I could find out. I also have no family to help out. So is there anyone who manages this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:17 PM on May. 6, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I've seen very few mothers that homeschool and work. Although I have known a handful that do and I've met them on social sites meant just for homeschooling Mothers (Google: The Homeschool Lounge). The few that I've seen this work are those either work FROM home; OR their children are older and can be left at home. (High School Age). I have not seen to many that have young elementary age children. Those that do that at elementary age I would think would need the support of extend family members. Having extend family members help watch/teach the children, especially if they work outside the home. Although that may not work in all cases. In are some states having a family member or friend teach would be prohibited. Learn the laws where you live. Every state has it's own laws.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 5:06 PM on May. 6, 2010

• I don't see how this could work. What would you do with your son while you are at work?

Answer by rkoloms at 4:37 PM on May. 6, 2010

• Sorry! I'm a single mom who has thought seriously of homeschooling, but it's really impractical. Your child still has to be SOMEWHERE while you work, so it might as well be at school.
    DDDaysh

Answer by DDDaysh at 5:05 PM on May. 6, 2010

• I know my son would have to be somewhere while I was at work. What I had meant and was hoping for ideas was on the kinds of jobs that could be done at home or something that I could do and take my son with me. I had met a women once who had a small child and because of problems with daycare she got a job cleaning those water machines so she could bring her child with her. It is kinda a self employment type job. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
    Anonymous

• I would love to do the same thing. My son has ADHD and really only gets things done with one-on-one help. I'm also a single mom without a lot of help or support. I haven't figured out how to make it work either. He would need to be somewhere while I'm at work and it might as well be school. I'm getting some stuff from his teacher to work with him over the summer and hoping he makes enough progress to move on to 3rd grade. We try working on things together in the evenings, but I have two kids and am in school full time myself. Just work with him at home whenever you can, even if it's just a few minutes a day. Good luck!
    lewseatea

Answer by lewseatea at 11:13 PM on May. 6, 2010

• how does this work? WHo is with the kids when you work? That would be hard. I don't homeschool and that alone is a task without a job!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 AM on May. 7, 2010

• The women I know that work for home have degrees in journalism, writing, education, etc. They are professional ghost writers. They get paid to write articles for other people. It's not easy, you have to be first a proven writer, journalist yourself, before you can take on ghost writing. At least that's my understanding of it. Sure there are all kinds of sites that say that they will pay for you to write, blog, etc. However those sites do not compare to "real" jobs.....

I do know of married women that supplement their income with blogging/websites. However that's a long road and not easy. Everyone is trying to make a buck with blogging/websites. Just like the ghost writing there is the "real' way or there are the scams. Scams are everywhere and it's hard to distinguished the two. I have nothing to recommend sorry.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 11:04 AM on May. 7, 2010