My 7 year old has developed anxiety when swallowing! He's practically not eating!! Has anyone every dealt with this? Any advice at all is very much appreciated!

A couple of weeks ago now, my son had a choking sensation. He felt as though something was blocking his ability to swallow. We took him to the dr and eventually had a scope done. Nothing was found. By the weekend after his scope he seemed to be getting back to his normal appetite. Now, he's back to having anxiety and refuses to eat some of what use to be his favorite foods. He has developed a nasty habit of chewing..but not swallowing and spitting out the food. I'm so worried about him and I don't know what to do. I know I could take him to the dr, but it ultimately is up to him to swallow...right?? Please, anyone, help is appreciated...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on May. 6, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I've seen this with younger children. My little sister and an old neighbor used to do the same thing, but only when they were younger. They eventually grew out of it. My sister would only chew on meat and then spit it out everything else she swallowed. Maybe its a phase?
    Anonymous

• I would talk to your pediatrician about it again and I would also see if you can have a speech therapist consult (they also deal with things like swallowing)
    Will he drink??? If he will I would start giving things like protein shakes and soups and things so he will get something in until he can be seen.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:30 PM on May. 6, 2010

• I agree that I would try to do a little more of a 'liquid' diet while you guys work to overcome this. Talk to your pedi to see what they reccomend, and talk with your DS about it. Discuss the anxiety he is having and what HE thinks you guys could do to make eating enjoyable again. Perhaps smaller bites?
    Good luck momma!
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 5:16 PM on May. 6, 2010

• I have only heard of this issue once before and the reason was horrible. Get him to a counsellor or therapist to make sure he isn't being or has ever been abused. It's a terrible thought sorry but you need to find out.

If you hadn't posted anon I would have pm'd you this instead of where everyone can see sorry momma :(
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 10:32 PM on May. 6, 2010