How can we get the word out?

Currently Nashville, TN is suffering a natural disaster which scales to that of Katrina! Yet, there is virtually no media coverage- no grand announcements asking for your donations and nothing being said and done by those that have the influence.

Country music stars have been trying to get word out- but they are being brushed aside because they have money... really, they want the rest of America to see the devastation because rich and poor alike- they are IN NEED!

I'm asking you- what can we do to get the word out and make this national news!?!

What can we do to help!?!

HistoryMamaX3

Asked by HistoryMamaX3 at 4:35 PM on May. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Everyone from the homeless in the tent city to Kenny Chesney have lost homes and property. It has effected ALL, not just the "rich white folks".
    Posting on CM and FB is a huge way to just get the word out so that people who want to help can, and so people who don't know what is going on will be aware.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 5:29 PM on May. 6, 2010

• Get in touch with the American Red Cross and ask them for media attention, So sorry for what Nashville went through this week,,,it did get national attention on the news, but not like other disasters,,
    Anonymous

• I don't know if there is much you can do as far as national coverage unless you know a bunch of people all over the country.

Unfortunately the media will only cover what they want to cover, and there's not a thing you can do.
    Anonymous

• Anon- I have. I sent emails to all my local news organizations, the the white house and to many "helpful" cause organizations. I have contacted my daughter's school and am putting together a drive- I've contacted CM and am doing what I can to spread the word. This is not something that can remain a blip on the media's screen.

THEY NEED US!
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 4:40 PM on May. 6, 2010

• Show the blacks suffering and blame it on the rich, racist, country music stars. That will do the trick.
    Anonymous

• Why do you think they're not wanting to cover it?
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 5:00 PM on May. 6, 2010

• I believe I heard something on the TV today, about texting a certain number, which would donate $10 from you to some organization. (I don't currently have a cell, and don't text when I DO have one, so I did not pay a whole lot of attention to the message..) Word is getting out, slowly, to be sure, but it is getting out. Maybe if they showed the plight of the poor illegals there, how they've been flooded out of their homes, (not trying to be flippant, or insensitive, but you have to use what will pull on people's heartstrings the hardest, and illegals seem to be what it is all about these days....)
    29again

Answer by 29again at 5:11 PM on May. 6, 2010

• So if someone is struggling over there then that gets attention. Are whites struggling over there or not? Maybe if no one is that would explain it. But another thing could be if Whites are struggling then I would think it would pull on peoples heartstrings ESPECIALLY those who are white. So it makes me wonder why they would not be quick to show it so that people would know more about it and help.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 5:15 PM on May. 6, 2010

• SylviaNCali- what the hell are you talking about?

Do you remember what happened in Katrina? THAT is happening right now. People are struggling. People have DIED. People have lost their homes and their businesses. These people are black, white, Mexican, Latino and a hell of a lot more. These people are rich and these people are poor. An entire tent camp full of homeless people wash washed away.

My point is that WE need to get the word out.
    And it sure the hell shouldn't matter what color they are...

HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 6:00 PM on May. 6, 2010

• OK. Not saying that the Tennessee flooding isn't a disaster and that the folks in the Volunteer State don't need help

But saying it scales to Katrina is overstating a bit. 1,836 deaths from Katrina, $81B in damage. In TN, 31 deaths thus far, $1B damage for Nashville. Still waiting on some numbers from Tennessee, obviously, but no one is calling it Katrina-like.

The Red Cross is making lots of info available. http://www.redcross.org/portal/site/en/menuitem.1a019a978f421296e81ec89e43181aa0/?vgnextoid=f9d514273cb68210VgnVCM10000089f0870aRCRD

There's been some interesting coverage on NPR as well. This is a first-person piece by a man living in the flood zone. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=126558740

Answer by gdiamante at 6:09 PM on May. 6, 2010