If your going to smoke.....which is safer while pregnant, electronic cigarettes or traditional?

I am pregnant with my second child. I quit smoking with this child before I got pregnant. I smoked at least a pack a day with my first and thankfully she is fine. I was kinda losing it when I was 2 months pregnant with this baby and desperately wanted to smoke. A friend convince me not to and to try electronic cigarettes. I did and It helped! My husband and I have became concerened with this electronic smoke as we know its not good but is it safer than smoking. It has propylene glycol in it and we dont know if that would harm the baby more than real cigaretttes. Unfortunately I am not going to stop I just want to pick the safer on, there has to be a safer one if Im going to smoke?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:38 PM on May. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• nothin you inhale is good for ypur baby
    Anonymous

• ask your doctor
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:39 PM on May. 6, 2010

• a pack a day when pregnant? really lady? shame on you.
    Anonymous

• yea i think it's really unlikely that there is going to be someone reading this q who has enough knowledge on propylene glycol. not sure where to point you for the "right" answer though. perhaps google and read anything you can about electronic cigarettes. gl!
    Anonymous

• Why not hit a crack pipe while you're at it? slap

Anonymous

• Most people that post on here really think they know it all and won't give you any good advice except to stop smoking all together. I wish I knew what to tell you but if you insist on smoking, I would assume stick with what you know and continue smoking regular ol' cigarettes while pregnant and then afterwards, maybe switch back to the electronic ones?? But I would definitely cut back, especially since you did acknowledge the dangers you felt with your first one.
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 4:50 PM on May. 6, 2010

• What concerns me about the product is that its claims of safety which is not proven and tested might mislead young women who are smokers and pregnant. Cigarette smoking during pregnancy has been linked to a lot of infant health problems. The effects of e-cig on the unborn child, however, are not known. Other groups are also concerned that e-cig contains a high dose of pure nicotine that is potentially lethal when ingested by children. In addition, it puts to test the age limit some countries have placed on cigarette purchase and possession.

If you wanna risk hurting your unborn, causing life long damage in a child who has no say... I guess you can. Is it moral of you? Probably not. Sorry you have an addition. It still doesn't make it okay to put your addition above your child!
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 4:55 PM on May. 6, 2010

• Stick with what you already do, honestly my sisters doctor told her when she was 12 weeks it could harm the baby more by you quitting bacause for one the baby is use to what you are use to and 2 if you are in stress the baby is in stress. I smoked when I was pregnant with my son he is just fine and on he is above average on his speech and milestones. I know many people who smoked while they were pregnant and they're kids are just fine.
    Anonymous

• Yes like a science experiment, try it out on your pregnancy so the researchers can tally up the NEG. and POS. of it. Just pray yours doesn't have a NEG. reaction. Like an underdeveloped brain? (doomed for life because babies learning potential was cut short by mother) Or maybe the chemicals will somehow alter your babies genes, making him/her SUPER baby, or a super genius? 

GAMBLE with it. Why not. I'm sure your unborn doesn't mind right? Please do let us know if your child is born deformed or lacking brains. clapping

Anonymous

• My mom smoked with me... I had my ear tubes changed EIGHT times! Horrible ear infections! PAINFUL ear infections growing up. The pediatrician linked with the smoking!

You think they're fine... your kid turned out fine... WHAT about the others?!!!!! DONT get all SELFISH! What about the baby? Does it have a say???? Stress.... LMAO SORRY a** excuse. Keep thinking up excuses to be selfish and excuses to put your addition first.

Thats like someone saying. I'm addicted to METH... If i QUIT I'll have withdrawls and stress! THATS also bad for the baby so I'll just keep smoking that METH!.

Lame excuses!!!!!
    Anonymous