American flag shirts are offensive?

In reference to the school in California who sent the five students home because they wore American flag shirts on Cinco De Mayo

Isn't it just a bit ironic that the very country that allows for celebration of this holiday is being treated in such manor by some idiot school principal? I mean from what I understand this holiday is not very recognized in Mexico..and then for people to be offended because OMG some Americans IN America (same country allowing and reocgnizing this holiday) wore American flag shirts to school...

These boy were told to leave the school if they would not turn their shirt inside out..

Such irony..and it is absolutely disgusting..

tnmomofive

Asked by tnmomofive at 5:04 PM on May. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Wow I did not hear about that, but honestly nothing surprises me anymore. Things get more strange to me everyday!
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 5:10 PM on May. 6, 2010

• I just saw a story on this on the news. It seems to be just the principle and a few others at that school, the school board is backing up the students. I'm seeing alot of people getting fussy about this but could it be looked at as a good thing? 2 of the boys were half mexican. They took a stand to stand behind thier/our country.
    Big KUDOS for those boys!
    Anonymous

• I read the story on Drudge. Thank heavens there were cooler, more rational heads at the school board level. That principal was wayyy out of line.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 5:13 PM on May. 6, 2010

• Oh yes I do agree anonymous KUDOS to them for sure.I think this would not have been a problem if the teacher/principal did not make a problem.The way I see it is this like I said this is America and because of that these children were free to celebrate this holiday so why should anyone be offended by our flag? IMO that is like spitting upon the very country that acknowledges these holidays/events and allows celebration of.I wonder did the school have an American flag raised on premises? Should the staff/students be offended by that? I think the principal should be fired myself.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 5:19 PM on May. 6, 2010

• Wow, it should never be considered "offensive" by anyone to wear an American Flag t-shirt in America on any day of the year. That is really absurd.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:28 PM on May. 6, 2010

• To some, the American flag itself is offensive. And I am referring to US citizens
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:52 PM on May. 6, 2010

• If you are offended by anything with the AMERICAN flag on it on ANY day then get the freak out of AMERICA!!!!
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 6:26 PM on May. 6, 2010

• Yep Carpy, I've seen it. It's rather sad.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 6:50 PM on May. 6, 2010

• If you're offended by the American flag feel free to move the hell out. It's so strange how America is becoming so anti American. Kids all over California and other states have gotten in trouble in the last 5 years for flying flags in class rooms, wearing American themed clothing or saying positive things about America. We're going to self destruct if we can't even have any pride in ourselves.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 6:51 PM on May. 6, 2010

• The principal was way out of line. Those kids were showing their pride for their country and they were punished for it. In no way do I see that as provoking violence. Good for them for showing their patriotism and shame on the principal for sending them home.
    onthegoturbo

Answer by onthegoturbo at 7:18 PM on May. 6, 2010