Step son calls me mommy and I cant get him to stop

Me and my So have a 4 year old son. During a break up he got someone else pregnant. We got back together worked through things...Fastforward we have a 4 year old 3 yr old step son and 4 mnth old daughter. We have taken the mom to court since the baby was 9 mnths and we have him every Saturday! We also pick him up randomly when the grandparents allow. I guess cause he hears my son call me mommy all the time he repeats it when he wants my attention. I treat him well like my own when hes around. But everytime I correct and tell him my names nikki and he just looks at me. My SO thinks its cute but I dont want him calling me that because there is already bitterness from his mom towards us and itll just add fuel to the fire! And like I said you dont want your kids calling no one else daddy. He wont stop though what can I do? He only speaks spanish by the way which im slightly fluent in

NIKKIANDYBABY

Asked by NIKKIANDYBABY at 5:14 PM on May. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• That is really tough. he just seems confused by this, however he is at the age where you can sit down and explain to him "This is mommy, and I am Nikki." Have him repeat it back to you. Also make sure your not saying it as to "get onto him" about it, because that is going to make it even more confusing for him.
    Anonymous

• He ONLY speaks Spanish at 4? He's going to have a lot of trouble in school mama. I'd just leave it be and let him call you that. If he only speaks Spanish, calling you something else is probably confusing for him.
    Anonymous

• Me and his mom go NO WHERE NEAR EACH OTHER...theres way to much feelings emotions and hate...Sad but true!
    Hes 3 my sons 4...His moms mexican an lives with her parents and they only speak spanish so thats why he only knows spanish..And my bf talks to him english along with us thats why he knows a little..But we live in a very hispanic area
    NIKKIANDYBABY

Answer by NIKKIANDYBABY at 5:23 PM on May. 6, 2010

• i think its cute he calls u mommy. whats the poor boy to do ? i think u should just go ahead and let him and deal with the wicked mom (his real mom) later .. dont worry .. she cant do u any harm. and if she's mad at u for no apparent reason, then let her be. u forgave her for having a baby with ure DH, so she should be grateful for that ! :D
    Anonymous

• He's a kid. It's really not that big a deal. I'm sure his life is confusing enough being shuttled from parent to parent to grandparents without you adding to it over something so stupid. If his mother has a problem then she can talk to him about it.
    MizusT

Answer by MizusT at 5:56 PM on May. 6, 2010

• Miz I dont mind it I just dont want anymore un nec problems. She takes us back to court all the time and we take her back every 6 mnths to increase visitation. Shes very mean to him as well so I dont want her taking it out on him
    NIKKIANDYBABY

Answer by NIKKIANDYBABY at 6:00 PM on May. 6, 2010

• If she is mean to him, maybe that is why he calls you mommy... he sees the way you act towards him and your son, and to him, that is how a mother is supposed to act. I can't blame him for wanting to call you mom, you are a good mother influence in his life. Why not let him do so until he's old enough to understand?
    zoeysmom331

Answer by zoeysmom331 at 6:30 PM on May. 6, 2010

• Zoey I know I love the kid I just dont want future issues in court or discipline towards him over it
    NIKKIANDYBABY

Answer by NIKKIANDYBABY at 6:33 PM on May. 6, 2010

• maybe ask him to call you mommy Nikki? that's what my brother's ex-gf's kids did. they called him Daddy DJ and they called their real dad's Daddy
    Angelgirl25

Answer by Angelgirl25 at 6:44 PM on May. 6, 2010

• Maybe try to get him to call you Mama Nikki or something similar? Or another affectionate name that isn't Mommy?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:44 PM on May. 6, 2010