How can the natural birth community be more effective, without watering down the facts?

I am asking this because I feel that there is often a disconnect. Obviously we know the debates here on Cafemom, but I would really like to hear what you think, without making this a debate. Please word your response respectfully, and share any personal experiences you have had that you feel are relevant to building better communication between the two "sides".

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:23 PM on May. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I think when arguing any points, it's important to acknowledge the other side's opinion first and foremost. The problem with most debaters on THIS site is that they tend to go on and on and on about the dangers of this and that and then backtrack by saying something like "Of course, if your situation is X,Y, or Z... of course you should have allowed the interventions." In terms of scientific research, the findings are actually in favor of natural births and even home births. But it doesn't help to spout a lot of facts as if we know it all and THEN acknowledge that there is another side. We need to say something like "I know a lot of mother's need cesareans (drugs, monitors, etc...) because of this and this...that's why they were invented; but there are a lot of studies that indicate that a lot of women don't because...yada yada." Also, instead of bashing an intervention in particular, it may be better to just defend natural CB
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 6:20 PM on May. 6, 2010

• i think opinions in general need to be presented in a more respectful manner. belittling  for our birth choices gets us nowhere. i also think that, similar to what pp said, people who are pro-natural need to make the distinction between necessary and unnecessary interventions. i have seen many people put down others for what were necessary actions.

erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 7:44 PM on May. 6, 2010

• Is having pain relievers in labor / deliver "medically necessary" (Its a real question, not trying to be rude).
    I dont think most woman want to bash. Its more of giving a double look at it (?)....
    ex: Breastfeeding is good because (yada), Formula feeding is bad because (yada), Natural birth is good because (yada), Medicated birth is bad because (yada)...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:50 PM on May. 6, 2010

• I like a team approach. Not a black and white approach. Ideal to me is a group of midwives and OB's working together. A pick a side approach doesn't lead to good outcomes for the 5% who need medical help. Either you have a bad transfer in a severe case that needs c-section. Or you have a mother with guilt because she needed a little something to push her over or take the edge off and is just sure that she missed out on the great gold star of the all natural birth. Somehow you have to communicate that it isn't about the gold star, it is about a healthy birth. And with all the premies and scheduled c-sections our healthy birth rates are dropping. Don't bother comparing to other countries. Americans believe everybody else in backwards and tune that info out.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 9:03 AM on May. 7, 2010