Should I turn the air conditioner off

when I am not home or should I leave it alone? Which one do you think would save on the electric bill. Say the air doesn't run 8 hours while I am at work but when I get home it has to run awhile before it reaches the temperature.

reesemom

Asked by reesemom at 5:57 PM on May. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Well i assume it wont take 8 hours to reach the right temp... so i guess it would save more to turn it off while no one is using it.
    Anonymous

• No it doesn't take 8 hours maybe an hour. But the air is always coming on and off so it wouldn't actually be running the whole 8 hours.
    reesemom

Answer by reesemom at 6:00 PM on May. 6, 2010

• I would say turn it off.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 7:00 PM on May. 6, 2010

• off
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 7:54 PM on May. 6, 2010

• We turn the temp up when we're not home.  That way it isn't running anywhere near as much but it keeps the house comfortable and it doesn't take as much to cool it down when we get home.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:54 PM on May. 6, 2010

• I agree with beeky. Turn it up a few degrees so it's not running as much when you're not there, but then you're not coming in to a hot house that is going to take longer to cool off.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 9:57 PM on May. 6, 2010

• Or get a programmable thermostat. Then you can program it go raise the temp when you aren't home and it can lower it before you get home. And it can do the same thing with heat.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:27 PM on May. 6, 2010