What's it like to take care of a child with autism?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:10 PM on May. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• in a word; delightful

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 6:16 PM on May. 6, 2010

• Challenging to say the least! You have to go by a whole new set of rules.Discovering what your child can and cannot handle in their life can be quite difficult. It can be very rewarding because when they learn something new,its so wonderful to see their face light up! Its hard when kids their age are doing things and your kid can't do those things just yet. If they're non verbal,you just sit and cry wishing for them to just say momma or I love you.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 6:19 PM on May. 6, 2010

• It depends completely on the level of functioning, which can range from very high to very low. Even with autism, they also have their inborn temperament. It's like asking what it would be like to watch a typical child - each one is different and unique.

Answer by missanc at 8:12 PM on May. 6, 2010

• I agree with all the ladies. There are days it is wonderful, challenging, and frustrating. It's pretty much like taking care of a typical child for me. My son is high functioning, and we live on 4 words~ Structure, Schedule, Order and Patience. We don't treat him any differently than we did our daughter. We put the child first, disability last.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 9:47 PM on May. 6, 2010

• I love my little man.....he is a joy.
    Robsmommy has it down!
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 4:34 AM on May. 7, 2010

• I think it forces parents to take a step back and really appreciate what is beautiful and wonderful about the child. I get choked up, all the time, about how wonderful mine is. Both of them, of course, amaze me, but my special needs kid makes me think about everything more.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 4:38 AM on May. 7, 2010