Is man really just worshipping himself?

Religion is the expression of how man relates to himself, or more correctly, to his essential being; but he relates to his essential being as to another being. The Divine Being is nothing other than the being of man himself, or rather, the being of man abstracted from the limits of the individual man or the real, corporeal man, and objectified, i.e., contemplated and worshiped as another being, as a being distinguished from his own. All determinations of the Divine Being are, therefore, determinations of the being of man.

~Feuerbach

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 6:35 PM on May. 6, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I beleive that many have twisted what religion was originally intended to be. And now has turned god into what they want and are worshiping them selves. Though not all.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:42 AM on May. 7, 2010

• there is a huge difference between religion and relationship with God.....
    religious people may be worshiping themselves.. that's what the pharisees did.. it was oh look at me I'm on the street-corner praying this long prayer.. look at me I am fasting cant you tell on my face. Where as Jesus when He was on the earth put focus on His Father and he never told people who He was but asked who they thought He was.
    In a relationship with God the focus is on Him and only Him.. we take our eyes off the self and look at Him and in so doing He pours out so much love , compassion, mercy and grace because we chose Him over ourselves.
    We are to esteem others better than ourselves.. that doesnt mean we worship each other but that we look out for the best interest of others. Forgive me if I sound preachy.. I promise you Im trying not to be but I am sharing my passion)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 6:42 PM on May. 6, 2010

• No, He is real and He is worshiped alone. Do men project their own ideas of what He looks like, what He acts like, human characteristics etc. onto Him, sure they do.
    Anonymous

• i think all men worship themselves. in a completely non religious context
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:44 PM on May. 6, 2010

• I think any divinity there is in the Universe resides within each and every one of us. We are all Divine, and capable of so much as the individuals that we are...if only we embraced this wonderful light and love of this inner divnity. I think if we focused more within, rather than reaching outward towards something unseen, we would be better off as a people.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:54 PM on May. 6, 2010

• No.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 6:59 PM on May. 6, 2010

• If the state of the world we live in today is a result of our being divine then we are all in trouble! The answer is not within ourselves. If it were we would be so much better off by the year of 2010. In fact I believe we are in the worst shape as a human race in the history of the world. That's why my faith is in Father God.
    Anonymous

• Like God is just a manifestion or projection of the divinity in ourselves. We, as humans create that image to worship it.

Here is the whole article where this quote came from. It's kind of filled with big words and hard to comprehend. I had to read it like 3 times in order to get the jist of it, but I found it kind of an interesting point of view:

http://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/feuerbach/works/essence/ec01_2.htm

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:00 PM on May. 6, 2010

• "If the state of the world we live in today is a result of our being divine then we are all in trouble!"

No, its the result of us IGNORING our inner divnity. But instead soooo many place that awesome power in the hands of what? an invisible "supreme" being, instead of realizing that they themselves are the beauty and the light that they seek.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:05 PM on May. 6, 2010

• sahmamax2, I so agree with you. They won't see it that way though. They're happy selling themselves short and giving all the credit to their god.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:07 PM on May. 6, 2010