dr told me to start potty training

my son is 16 months old and his dr said that hes showing signs that he is ready to start potty training and to start but i dont know how to start. he has a potty chair. we put the potty chair in the bathroom when he was about 10 months old so he is fully acustom to it. i just dont know what to do next.

kcandie

Asked by kcandie at 7:12 PM on May. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I always hear that just do it when theyre ready.
    Sherrae

Answer by Sherrae at 7:15 PM on May. 6, 2010

• he is showing signs that he is ready so i was asking how to start
    kcandie

Answer by kcandie at 7:17 PM on May. 6, 2010

• we also started at 16 months. We started by putting him in undies and putting him on the potty every hour and as soon as he wakes up.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 7:18 PM on May. 6, 2010

• I think your doctor is an idiot. Showing signs to the doctor and not you? That's nuts. I'd have ask the doctor "What does that even mean?" Let the child do it when he's ready. You will see the signs. Let him watch dad. Then he'll catch on but I think he's way too young.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:18 PM on May. 6, 2010

• My doctor told me just introduce the potty at this age do force like when you are getting ready to give your child a bath sit them on the potty they may or may not do anything. If they do that is super !!!! You can keep a potty book in the bathroom and have them look at it while they are sitting there !!!! This is what I did with my daughters, just introduce do not force !!! Some kids are ready for potty training before 2 and some are not .
    ramajil

Answer by ramajil at 7:21 PM on May. 6, 2010

• admckenzie his dr is not an idiot i asked about potty training since my son has been consistantly waking up from his nap everyday, for about 2 months now, dry and he is able to hold his bladder for hours so he is showing me signs that he is ready and that is why his dr told me to start potty training and i would love if you would stop being ignorant and if you dont have any advise on how to start training please dont bother posting to this question thank you
    kcandie

Answer by kcandie at 7:36 PM on May. 6, 2010

• We are starting by showing myself or hubby using the potty. Then we all cheer, flush and wash hands. We will soon have him going naked and letting him roam outside in the backyard. Once they feel the urge after one or two possible accidents, they will want to tell you or use the potty. It's like a "boot camp" of sorts and typically takes 3 days. Once you fully plan to train, do it when you have a few days to stay home. Don't go back to day time diapers once you fully commit.

I hope I made sense! :)

love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 7:43 PM on May. 6, 2010

• I would say put him on the toilet every hour this gets them into the groove
    NIKKIANDYBABY

Answer by NIKKIANDYBABY at 7:52 PM on May. 6, 2010

• Please don't listen to these people who say its too early. Just because their children weren't "ready" until they were 4 does not mean your doctor is an idiot or your child isn't ready. My son was entirely potty trained day and night by two and we started at about the same time you are. The easiest way to potty train is to buy a pair of plastic underpants (from Walmart usually where they keep packaged onesies) and stop putting your child in diapers and don't do pull ups. The plastic pants keep the mess in but feels gross so they learn very quickly to stop doing their business in their pants. Make it fun for your child. Take him to pick out fun big kid undies. Let him pick out a fun pack of stickers of his favorite character or plain stars work too. Make a potty chart and put it on the wall by the potty. When he goes potty on his own put a sticker on the chart and show how proud you are. If he has an accident thats ok
    Anonymous

• Well, its been awhile for me...my son is 10,lol. My daughter is 14 months and I think I'll be starting potty training here soon too..she is starting to tell me when she poops,lol.
    When my son was potty training, I bought him a "potty video".It was a cute animated show about using the potty. I also bought him the book. I used to set the potty in front of the tv and he sat in it while he watched,sang and danced to the video. He was fairly easy to potty train. I never punished him for accidents. Rewarded him with hugs and praise for going in the potty or at least making the effort. I let him run around the house naked or in underwear.When we went out, he wore pull ups,and always stopped at the potty whereever we were to give him a chance to go so he wouldnt have an accident.
    Good luck and happy potty training! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:52 PM on May. 6, 2010