my yougest is worried about the water, we have went thru some bad weather lately and there was some flooding around us. When my three year pld goes to bed she has been asking if the water was comming back. How do I reassure her and my other kids that we are okay, we had no water close to our house but several people we know did. How can I help them threw this

we Live in West Tennessee, my city has been on a boil water notice for the last 6 days and not sure when the water will be safe

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:38 PM on May. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'm confused... is she afraid of flooding or afraid of not having water?
    I think if it were my kid, I would just tell them I'm not sure but if anything happens I will take care of them. good luck!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 7:44 PM on May. 6, 2010

• I can sympathize. I live in Middle TN. While he does not worry about flooding again, my son was flooded in at his dad's over the weekend. He is ten, when I talked to him (each of the twenty times that day, lol), I could hear the fear and the tears in his voice. When he got in my truck the next morning, he just hugged me so hard. Since then he doesn't get three feet from me.

Three is kind of young to explain things to, but why don't you tell them that it was almost 100 years ago when water got that high, and that chances are that storms like that won't come again any time soon.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 7:46 PM on May. 6, 2010

• When my youngest was 3 we were caught in a huge dust storm on a hike out in the open. We were running downhill with him on our shoulders while the older 2 kids ran ahead. It took about a year for him to not whimper when the wind would kick up. Now, 2 years later he can truly talk about it.

Just reassure all of them that you will do your very best to keep them safe. Maybe get a map and say look, the water was here and we are waaaay over here. But mostly just keep answering the questions and try not get frustrated with it. Before you know it they will become not as frequent as they process the information and understand that they are truly safe.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:33 PM on May. 6, 2010