Anyone been to fertility counceling?

My hubs and I have set up a meeting with our gyno for "fertility counseling" since we've been trying for over 8mo. with no luck.

From what I'm getting from the scheduling lady it's just asking questions and figuring out what's next. (ie. testing) - so I'm not expecting more than that.

So I need help gathering intelligent questions other than the one I got. :)

Yes, we've done both the 'every other day' and the 'every day' sex and it hasn't worked yet. We're not overweight, overly stressed (aside from normal everyday), happy, loving, no health issues and I do exercise regularly.

Question 1: I know when I ovulate (I can feel it) and we're being intimate during those times. So what's wrong!?!

Any other people been through this type of this before and can offer suggestions on questions to ask? Or tell me what to expect? I would greatly appreciate it!

Felixkitty

Asked by Felixkitty at 7:43 PM on May. 6, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• We went to a fertility specialist after 3 years of trying. I had A LOT of bloodwork done. They asked us a million questions. The second time I went back they did a test on my ovaries to make sure they weren't blocked at all -- it wasn't bad, a little bit of cramping while it happened and a bit afterwards. We decided to start out on Clomid. I got pregnant 3 months after taking 4 cycles of Clomid, which I guess happens a lot.

I can't think of any questions I asked as this was 3 1/2 years ago. Good luck to you!
    Anonymous

• I can only tell you what I did. We tried to get pregnant and tried and tried. I ended up having 3 miscarriages over about 2 years. I gave up. Then I said I better do something because I am not getting any younger 37. I finally bypassed my Obgyn and I went directly to a place that specialized in IVF. I made an appt with a Genetic Specialist. At the initial visit I explained my history and multiple miscarriages. I told him I do not want to waste my time with anything but I wanted to have Invitro. I didn't want to start with clomid and the such and waste time and energy. He had me do bloodwork to check for all genetic disorders and the regular blood tests too. All of which came out fine. I chose to do PGD (Pre Genetic Diagnosis) on all viable eggs. I started the IVF process and what we found out was that for some reason I had very few viable eggs. Basically, my eggs were bad. See more below....
    Anonymous

• Me again! The first time had one viable embryo and it did not take. No pregnancy. So I waited a few months and did the whole thing over from the begining including the PGD. Second time I had two viable embryos (Meaning that they divided and were without and genetic abnormalities). I did not expect it to work but low and behold ONE embryo took!!! YEA!!! And now I have a beautiful healthy little boy!!! That was my story. I would like to do it again but need to save up more money. The PGD alone costs $6,000. So in total I need aprox. $12,000 that is with my insurance paying for the drugs needed. Each time it cost me about $12,000 out of pocket. But I would not do it without PGD again. By doing the PGD I saved myself a lot of stress by preventing them from putting in unviable embyos. I would have had to gone back over and over and it would not have worked. This way I knew I had a chance both times. I hope I helped! Good luck.
    Anonymous

• Dh and I went to a fertility specialist after 2 miscarriages and because of my age. This was in Aug of 2008 and I was 42 at the time. They did blood work on both of us. a sperm sample from DH and I had a procedure that makes sure your fallopian tubes are not blocked. (the procedure was not that bad). Once the results came back we opted for ivf because they really coudn't find anything wrong with either one of us. They thought is was just an age factor. We opted to do ivf even though they gave us a very low chance of success(I think it was a 15% chance with ivf and a 3% chance without.) We went thru 2 failed rounds of ivf, but the 3rd one worked. We now have a healthy, beautiful 4 month old daughter. Good questions to ask are what are your options such as fertility drugs, Your chances of success aswell as THEIR success rate. Also ask what your insurance pays for. I wish you the best of luck.
    cherylw993

Answer by cherylw993 at 8:45 PM on May. 6, 2010

• I know you have been trying, but have you ever used any ovulation kits before? I thought I knew when I was ovulating but like you i could also feel it, but I was ovulating 1 week later. These kits have helped me so much, they are great. I wish you the very best .

sta517

Answer by sta517 at 10:20 PM on May. 6, 2010

• Thank you all so much for your stories and sharing your insights. :D It is much appreciated.
    Felixkitty

Answer by Felixkitty at 1:01 AM on May. 7, 2010