Paddling at school

Some schools are proposing that they bring back paddling because things such as suspensions, and time outs are not working.One teacher spoke of giving a kid referral after referral to the principal's office and he just laughs at her? What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:09 PM on May. 6, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I don't know if it will work or not. I do think that they need to change what they are doing. Back on high schools referrals and suspensions wasn't a big deal to me.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 8:21 PM on May. 6, 2010

• Humiliation is not the answer. This just breeds contempt,not respect
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 8:22 PM on May. 6, 2010

• I say whoop the tar out of em! LOL...just kidding.
    I think they need that "fear" that we had when I was a kid.
    Kids have no fear of anything these days. So what, they get suspended..I think some of it do it on purpose so they don't have to go to school for a few days.
    I believe that if they do bring it back in the schools, there should be a consent form for parents to sign as well as giving a call to the parents before hand to explain the situation and getting the parents permission at that time.
    It has to be monitored so that power control teachers don't get carried away with it though.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:03 PM on May. 6, 2010

• NO ONE will paddle my child, EVER!!! NO school would get my permission to paddle my child and if they did without my permission they would have a mighty big lawsuit on their hands.

The reason some kids laugh when disciplined or why suspension doesn't work is because some parents make it acceptable for their kids to do so. Control needs to be given back to the teachers and parents need to instill respect in their children. Suspension doesn't work because it is like a day off of school for the kids. When I was in school, I would have NEVER thought to laugh at a teacher for giving me a referral and I would have been scared to death about the school calling my parents because I was in trouble. The same for my 13 year old son. Respect and discipline start at home.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:33 PM on May. 6, 2010

• I don't think it's ok. Why is it ok for a principal to hit my child with a piece of wood, but I can't because CPS will step in. Heck no! If I can't spank my own child why should somebody else get to and to that with a piece of wood. NOPE!
    yolandasix

Answer by yolandasix at 10:11 AM on May. 7, 2010

• After visiting my dd's school last week, I'm all for it!!! LOL..but seriously....paddling is not the solution. The solution is bringing parents in when the child is acting out and making both parent and child responsible. When one child acts out in class, it disrupts the whole classroom and makes it hard for other kids to learn.

What good would paddling do?
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 5:28 PM on May. 7, 2010

• I never had a paddling in any school I ever went too and there was never the behaviour issues there are today. Now it's possible that more kids growing up with me were spanked by their parents. That could explain a lot.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:25 AM on May. 9, 2010