Please advise on how to act accordingly to get a job quick...

I have read all of the articles, but the problem I am having is there are no jobs availible to really stand out because they want it all done online. I have a great resume, I work really hard, and I am willing to do/learn anything. I got laid off Tuesday and had been working there for 3 years so I need to learn how to ((successfully)) get back into the game.

ABusyBee

Asked by ABusyBee at 8:22 PM on May. 6, 2010 in Money & Work

• The unemployment rate keeps going up, it is very discouraging. I do have a few suggestions (I do career and job search coaching).
    Number 1 is networking; Cafemom is a start, but you need to actively seek out people and groups that can help you meet people who can connect you to someone hiring. Less the half of the available positions are posted on the job boards; you need to get out and find the others. A profile on Linkedin is a must!
    Number 2 is having a great "elevator speech". This is a 15 second introduction on who you are and what you are looking for.
    Number 3 is a great resume that tells the reader who you are, what you can do, what you have accomplished, and how you can help.
    Number 4 is great coverletters tailored to the position/company & the "pain points".
    Number 5 is using one of the meta search sites, like Indeed or Simply Hired, to comb the job boards for you.

Send me a message if you have any questions.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:06 AM on May. 7, 2010

• take some classes if possible to stay ahead of the game.. go job hunting everyday. AS if you were going to go to work...but instead you are going to look for a job...and when all else fails for the time being take a job at a restaurant or something until something in your area opens up...remember every little bit helps...
    Anonymous

• If you really want to work out of the house you got to be extra special and cheap, people will get let go so they kind find cheaper workers.

Best ofluck.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 10:48 PM on May. 6, 2010

• I am a huge networker and wow go into something places like craigslist, or google place free ads and it will take you to hundreds of websites that have job listings in your area. You just have to do research!
    I am sorry you were laid off. I hope things work out for the best.
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 1:03 PM on May. 7, 2010