Adoption in the media

Foreyes has a new comercial out spoofing the starlet that collects children.
What do you think about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLWFdSckvvU&sns=em

adopteeme

Asked by adopteeme at 8:43 PM on May. 6, 2010 in Adoption

• UPDATE: I sent a note this am to their customer service and received a personal email from their director of customer relations stating that they will no longer be running the commercial and that if they offended one aparent, that is too many.

I think how they reacted was impressive
    SandalsKitty

Answer by SandalsKitty at 9:21 PM on May. 7, 2010

• I think it is a cute commercial. But, I don't think she is just "collecting" children. There are WAY more families that have a lot more adopted children then she does but, people complain about her because she is famous.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:07 PM on May. 6, 2010

• I think that anyone who gives a child in need a home and a better life should be respected, not ridiculed.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 11:02 PM on May. 6, 2010

• I think it's tasteless and gives zero respect for adoptive parents...be them famous or not.

You didn't ask, but I'm going to say...I also find your comment of "collecting children" tasteless.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:12 PM on May. 6, 2010

• this woman has millions or dollars. So what if she wants to adopt 10 kids. If she loves them and provides for them who cares. She is giving a WAY better life than they would have without her.
    BeJuicy

Answer by BeJuicy at 1:00 AM on May. 7, 2010

• In the spoof of the commercial, she wants to adopt a 27yo. I think that would be 'collecting' as in a hobby, don't you think?
    adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 5:27 AM on May. 7, 2010

• http://www.foreyes.com/

IF you would like to let the company know that you disagree with the portrayal on this commercial, attached is the link to their customer service site.
    SandalsKitty

Answer by SandalsKitty at 7:04 AM on May. 7, 2010

• I can't see the commercial and would really like to so that I can contact the management if need be. Can you post another link?
    Suzy_Sunshine

Answer by Suzy_Sunshine at 9:48 AM on May. 7, 2010

• I can't see the actual commercial and I tried searching it out and can't find it, but I have to ask: Why is adoption SUCH a touchy subject for so many?
    As far as celebrity adoptions: while I'm obviously not a frequent house guest of theirs, I can't help but wonder why we base our assumptions that they are fantastic parents on the fact that they are wealthy. Thinking of Angelina Jolie in particular, with the crazy schedules these celebrities have, how can they be contributing adeqate emotional support for these kids? Again, using the Angelina Jolie example--she has one biological daughter, a set of twins and at least 3 adopted children--6 kids. I don't know how she's able to properly care for them, herself. I know she has a wealth of hired help, but it's still other people raising her kids. I don't see how that's any different than a single mother putting her kid in daycare.
    LiliMama18

Answer by LiliMama18 at 11:12 AM on May. 7, 2010

• LilMama; I actually saw the commercial on tv before I saw this post. I didnt like it but didnt go as far as to complain until this post reminded me.

The reason why it is a touchy subject is because adoption is presented to our children as a serious well thought out decision. While you and I understand that no one would adopt a child (or adult) simply to get free eyeglasses, a 5 yr old may not.
    Everytime being adopted is a punchline to a joke, it weakens the message that adoption is a forever, serious, almost sacramental occasion.

I dont want my child to have to defend a taunt in her Kindergarten class saying that her Mom only adopted her to get free eyeglasses. Being adopted has it own real issues she will have to explain to kids who dont understand, no need to add imaginary issues.
    SandalsKitty

Answer by SandalsKitty at 12:54 PM on May. 7, 2010